Paypal Plug-in Secure Card Generator Discontinued?!

Enigmarokker
Contributor
Contributor

This STINKS! It looks like the Paypal Plug-in has been abandoned entirely (I’m in the US)…

I created a new account less than a month ago, downloaded the Paypal Plugin Secured Cards app and was notified that I’d have to wait 30 days for it to be active “for security purposes” [I'm sure]… I have about 12 more days until I was SUPPOSED to be able to use it…

As I was VERY thrilled about the aspect of using the Paypal Plugin, I was trying to show my friend the app today and WHAT DO YOU KNOW?!?! The application loads and brings me to the paypal site and instead of it displaying all of the info about the Paypal Plugin it says PAYPAL PLUG-IN, NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!

Wow Paypal, not announced as a discontinued product ANYWHERE on your site (that I could find), just literally dissapeared as if it never existed, half your account reps dont even know it after I made several calls in and they asked other reps among them…

I’m extremely dissapointed as I was looking forward to using iPaypal Plug-in and especially since I have to wait about 40 days to get the regular Paypal card now…it would have been GREAT to use the Paypal Plug-in sooner. Maybe since the plugin is "no longer available" the Paypal Debit Card should be offered sooner so my business doesn't have to suffer while I wait to deposit funds into my bank account so I can turn around and buy products that my customers ordered from me.

Please note:: I'm NOT trying to bash Paypal as it's been GREAT in terms of integration into our shopping cart software and easy to use, safe, secure, etc...but from my point of view, where I need the Paypal Debit Card sooner than later and I was EXPECTING to be able to use the Paypal Plug-in as a "work-around" THIRTY DAYS before I could have used the Paypal Plug-in, this is a severe dissapointment to me and my business partners.

PLEASE BRING THE PAYPAL PLUG-IN BACK!!! =’(

WHY DID THIS HAPPEN?! Does anyone from Paypal have a reason/excuse as to why this seemingly cool & useful product would dissapear with absolutely no formal reason/acknowledgement from the company that developed it? (again I may be wrong, but I could not find any info about the app being discontinued, nor have any of the support articles for the program been updated to say that Virtual Cards are gone, and so is the Paypal Plug-in)

This makes me lose faith in RELYING on a system that in the future like this, because how am I supposed to be able to develop a "standard operating platform/procedure" all the while knowing that the product might randomly go away? Obviously I'll have to rely on the Paypal Debit Card and my other back-up funding accounts, but this whole thing just hurts =( haha.

Any comments or reasonings here would be appreciated. Thanks 😃

Login to Me Too
81 REPLIES 81

chasee42

I downloaded the plugin from the link; it runs correctly within the browser but once I press Generate card it asks me to activate the generator, and once I click the button to do so it redirects me to the discontinued page.

Is there any work around? I can't find any other option within my account.

Login to Me Too

KiethS
Contributor
Contributor

I've got the plug-in (the link to the Plug-in is still working and available on my Account Summary page under Tools).  It doesn't work under Linux, though (not even under WINE Windows emulator for Linux, though Firefox for Windows does install fine).

I gave a copy of the secure card generator to a co-worker who previously didn't use the tool with his Paypal account...I just got his reply back.  The Plug-in installs, but fails to complete teh last two steps of setup, using MS-IE (he's running Windows 7).  Not conclusive, but it 'smells' like at least SOME Windows users aren't allowed to add the Plug-In and Secure Card feature at this time...

I found a manual Secured card generator option deeper in the menus under my account!  (Note, I've used the Plugin for several months, and it is still active at this time as well).

1. Login to your account

2. Go to account Overview (Summary)

3. Right column, under "My Account Tools", click on "Paypal Plug-In"

4. Left column, under "Plug-In home", click on "Secured Cards"

5. Center screen, under "Secure Cards", the second tab is "Generate a new card"

The manual generator works.  It's well hidden / nested under a few levels of menus, but, it works. 

I just created and used a generated Secure Card successfully about 5 minutes ago.

I think I understand PART of the problem people are having with unexpected payments made via Secure Cards.

The expiration date of the Secure Card is not...today.  That is, when the card is generated, it is given an expiration date perhaps a month or more later than...today, to ensure that the merchant's bank has time to process the charge back.

I'm not sure how they would prevent additional charges from being process, other than outright denying authorization, providing that the virtual account number / security code, and billing address are all correct, especially if the request for funds somes from the same vendor.

You see, many (not all) merchants will issue a pre-auth against a buyer's credit card just to see that the information provided is valid.  For example, for MagicJack, they issue a pre-auth of $1, before billing the 'real' purchase amount of $10 for changing your phone number (e.g. to avoid sales calls).  So, in fact there are two pre-auth's levied against the so-called one-time use account ($1, and, $10), though one is allowed to expire or cancelled (the $1), and only one is actually completed (the $10 transaction).  If Paypal were not to allow for an 'extra' pre-auth, this practice of 'testing the waters' by many online merchants would fail, and the purchase wouldn't go through.

Login to Me Too

zanne101
Contributor
Contributor

1. Login to your account

This and a lot of other info had been discussed in this thread previously, if you go back through it.

For anyone having problems with the plugin, go through the earlier postings - you may find a way around it.

Login to Me Too

partlocator
Contributor
Contributor

@zanne101 wrote:

1. Login to your account

This and a lot of other info had been discussed in this thread previously, if you go back through it.

For anyone having problems with the plugin, go through the earlier postings - you may find a way around it.

You need to know that there are several different types of PayPal accounts and that not everyone will see what you see when they log into their account.  As such, your directions above may be confusing to some.

Login to Me Too

zanne101
Contributor
Contributor

Those weren't my directions, but rather KiethS.

I was just commenting on the fact that there is lots of info further back on this thread and it might help someone if their problem matched the older posts.

Login to Me Too

zanne101
Contributor
Contributor

Even though those were not my specific instruction (I tried to italicize it, but obviously didn't work), I have discussed this very set of instructions previously.

Even if someone has a different acct, it doesn't hurt to see if something different will work.  There are several possibilities posted by others also.  If someone doesn't go back throught the older postings, they may miss the very thing that would help.

Login to Me Too

Enigmarokker
Contributor
Contributor

Hey TerriB - Yeah I knew the manual card generator was/is still going on, however like I said, for some reason the plugin generator was causing separate issues I'm just going by what I was told from the paypal dev, and further google searching on those issues seems to have confirmed that it's a plausible answer. - I've since got my new(er) companies paypal debit/check card though so thats all I ever needed anyways 😜 haha

Login to Me Too

KDCinfo

In following the direction going through the plugin page, I keep getting an error at the top of the screen saying: Your request could not be processed at this time, please try again later.

Login to Me Too

TerriB
Contributor
Contributor

@KDCinfo wrote:

In following the direction going through the plugin page, I keep getting an error at the top of the screen saying: Your request could not be processed at this time, please try again later.

I just tried it on both I.E. and Firefox 3.6.1 and got a card generated manually on both.

Terri

Login to Me Too

Enigmarokker
Contributor
Contributor

Please keep in mind everyone, that every step outlined in here may or may not work for you and almost completely depends on your OWN account with Paypal. There's a very good chance that you've followed any and all steps properly and the only place to blame is Paypal since it clearly doesn't have its act together nor does it communicate big changes and issues to its employees or customer service, who then dont provide a top notch level of service to their clients (us) when we call to inquire about stuff like this haha. Unfortunately, I still love Paypal nonetheless though =p

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.