Paypal Plug-in Secure Card Generator Discontinued?!

Enigmarokker
Contributor
Contributor

This STINKS! It looks like the Paypal Plug-in has been abandoned entirely (I’m in the US)…

I created a new account less than a month ago, downloaded the Paypal Plugin Secured Cards app and was notified that I’d have to wait 30 days for it to be active “for security purposes” [I'm sure]… I have about 12 more days until I was SUPPOSED to be able to use it…

As I was VERY thrilled about the aspect of using the Paypal Plugin, I was trying to show my friend the app today and WHAT DO YOU KNOW?!?! The application loads and brings me to the paypal site and instead of it displaying all of the info about the Paypal Plugin it says PAYPAL PLUG-IN, NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!

Wow Paypal, not announced as a discontinued product ANYWHERE on your site (that I could find), just literally dissapeared as if it never existed, half your account reps dont even know it after I made several calls in and they asked other reps among them…

I’m extremely dissapointed as I was looking forward to using iPaypal Plug-in and especially since I have to wait about 40 days to get the regular Paypal card now…it would have been GREAT to use the Paypal Plug-in sooner. Maybe since the plugin is "no longer available" the Paypal Debit Card should be offered sooner so my business doesn't have to suffer while I wait to deposit funds into my bank account so I can turn around and buy products that my customers ordered from me.

Please note:: I'm NOT trying to bash Paypal as it's been GREAT in terms of integration into our shopping cart software and easy to use, safe, secure, etc...but from my point of view, where I need the Paypal Debit Card sooner than later and I was EXPECTING to be able to use the Paypal Plug-in as a "work-around" THIRTY DAYS before I could have used the Paypal Plug-in, this is a severe dissapointment to me and my business partners.

PLEASE BRING THE PAYPAL PLUG-IN BACK!!! =’(

WHY DID THIS HAPPEN?! Does anyone from Paypal have a reason/excuse as to why this seemingly cool & useful product would dissapear with absolutely no formal reason/acknowledgement from the company that developed it? (again I may be wrong, but I could not find any info about the app being discontinued, nor have any of the support articles for the program been updated to say that Virtual Cards are gone, and so is the Paypal Plug-in)

This makes me lose faith in RELYING on a system that in the future like this, because how am I supposed to be able to develop a "standard operating platform/procedure" all the while knowing that the product might randomly go away? Obviously I'll have to rely on the Paypal Debit Card and my other back-up funding accounts, but this whole thing just hurts =( haha.

Any comments or reasonings here would be appreciated. Thanks 😃

Login to Me Too
81 REPLIES 81

zanne101
Contributor
Contributor

Go back through this discussion and you will find instructions for going into the secure card section and requesting a one-time use card, where you will have to copy the card info down and enter manually when you use it for a purchase.

I believe I outlined it on this discussion and someone else may also have done that.

Good Luck

Login to Me Too

TerriB
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks..I sure will look for it

Terri

Login to Me Too

Enigmarokker
Contributor
Contributor

When I first created this thread I didn't think I'd read or see so many people replying to it. I'm glad my rant got some attention from fellow paypal users likely searching for answers like I was to Paypal gettin' rid of such a cool product  😜  

It's really a shame that Paypal took it down, I meant to reply here and tell everyone what Paypal had told me when I phoned into them awhile ago...I had to wait hours on the phone for answers from various managers (because I had setup my business to rely on this feature, I was furious) and to be honest I can't even remember everything that they had told me at the time...however I was told the following about the main point of them removing the secure card generator from new customers::

** The secure card generator had issues that the Paypal developers could not fix easily or fast enough, which was that the secure card generator was STILL allowing SOME of these "one-time use cards" to be charged again and again even though it was obviously supposed to be authenticated once, and then no longer available to be charged. This didn't happen ALL the time but to some generated "virtual" credit cards, it did happen... The bigger problems that this caused for Paypal is that the customers (you and me) would be outraged that their cards (your Paypal account) were being charged a SECOND time when you didnt expect it; and in turn these same people who's "secure" generated cards were allowing multiple transactions over the course of many months, turned around and started filing for unauthorized transactions/refunds... Visa and Discover, Mastercard, etc are all setup to handle claims for unauthorized transactions but not so much Paypal directly due to this being a unique product (infinite unique credit cards =p), since they were the ones promising their customers that these cards could only be used once or in whatever manner the card was specificed to be generated in; and paypal had to refund money to many of its customers for this flaw, while it lost money that was actually charged on the credit cards to the business that charged them. When I say paypal lost the money it was because a lot of these customers thought it'd be a great idea to "try out" services on the web that required a credit card (or use their virtual card on a site they may not trust but still want to buy from), and if they didn't cancel their service within 30 days, their card would go into SUBSCRIPTION mode whereby every month they would get billed for the monthly fee. Customers thought by using these virtual cards that they wouldnt get repeatedly charged and wouldnt have to remember to cancel their subscription, but this wasnt the case obviously as like I just said, a percentage of virtual credit card users where STILL getting charged repeatedly, and technically it was Paypals fault, but at the same time the subscription service that was charging the virtual credit cards repeatedly were NOT illegally charging the cards because in most cases the customer didn't cancel their subscription (even though the card was supposed to decline). So this was risky for Paypal to continue offering this feature to new customers, because they dont need more and more people to keep running into problems like this until it gets fixed. *I* think tts also shady they havent warned the CURRENT customers like myself who can use it, that this possible flaw can happen with the virtual credit card generator...

There were also a few other reasons for them getting rid of this feature, however I can't remember, the main reason was my aforementioned ramble. I THINK another reason was that some card numbers weren't 100% unique and the credit card numbers were being generated twice (by two different Paypal customers!) and there were conflicts in billing due to this.

They DID hint that a newer version of this product "virtual credit cards" may be released in the future (no date/time given). They also mentioned that the CURRENT paypal secure credit card plugin feature may stop functioning completely at some point in the future without notice to those of us who can still use it, if Paypal they cannot complete the needed fixes.

dragonsbait, I just read your response to this and I dont see the secure credit card plugin for download available on your site? When I try to register it said I need to pay for a subscription I think? Please advise.

I dont have a lot of time these days but if anyone wants this program still, post back and if theres enough people I can put it up on rapidshare or something...cant gaurentee brand new paypal users can use this though...I know that customers before a certain date (probably right before my first post on this thread) should be able to use it though.

Thanks everyone for getting involved on this topic, I hope Paypal comes back with an improved (working) virtual credit car generator. Hopefully they wont delete my post here 😜

Login to Me Too

rikirose
Contributor
Contributor

It's Windows 7. The plugin is not compatible. Support said they'd notify me when they have the upgrade available.

Login to Me Too

Enigmarokker
Contributor
Contributor

Rikirose, please note that where Windows 7 (may) have been part of the reason why they took the download down for new users, think about it, they could have kept the service "available" and simply said it's not compatible with Windows 7 yet (like most companies do), perhaps what I mentioned in my previous post has been resolved finally however...and NOW we're just waiting on a windows 7 patch before they re-release this plugin.

They kept the system alive for current users because it was still in development at that point. But trust me, a few months back paypal qas QUOTED at stating that the credit card plug-in/generator was "dicontinued"....please feel free to google "problems with google credit card plug-in" and you will see what many users have been complaining about before Paypal took it down...

...aka what I previously said about their credit cards being allowed to be charged over and over. I'm a developer...If it was JUST because Windows 7 wasn't supported, they wouldn't have claimed that no new users could come aboard for that one reason... The plug-in worked/works fine with IE8 as well. Paypal will have a tought time admitting what flaws the plug-in had if you talk to first level support... So take my advice and please google the many complaints other users have had about the plug-in before Paypal was forced to take it down.

Fortunately, I myself havent been billed twice yet.

More importantly...FYI...The plug-in works fine for me when installed under compatability mode in Win 7 / IE8

Login to Me Too

TerriB
Contributor
Contributor

I still have Win XP and have had the plug in for a very long time. Lost it once and found a link to get it back, Due to issues with IE  I use Firefox now (and love it btw) and a while ago I read on here that the latest  FF update might  not work with the plug in but when I got the notice that FF 3.6 was ready I downloaded it without thinking so now of course I cannot use the plug in at all.

Terri

Login to Me Too

war59312
Will I can no longer use secure cards at all. When I load up the PayPal Plug-In Secure cards web page it states I have to once again confirm my address. Secure cards was working just fine and my address had already been confirmed. When I try and do this it states you must enter a CC #. No matter which I use I always get "This card cannot be used to confirm your address, please try with another card." Of course my address has been confirmed with my CC for years. After speaking with tech support I learned that this is a known issue with no ETA for a fix. 😞 Ouch, was working just fine back on Feb. 25th, 2010, that last time I logged into my account. Take Care, Will
Login to Me Too

Woosan
New Community Member

Well EBAY took over Paypal. So count on a lot of things changing in the near future with Paypal.
If you are happy with Ebay and the way it has changed over the years, then you will like Paypals future.
If not, start looking for out of country sources of financial freedom.

Login to Me Too

TerriB
Contributor
Contributor

@Woosan wrote:

Well EBAY took over Paypal. So count on a lot of things changing in the near future with Paypal.
If you are happy with Ebay and the way it has changed over the years, then you will like Paypals future.
If not, start looking for out of country sources of financial freedom.

Ebay took over Paypay 8 years ago. The Paypal virtual Mastercard plug in generator has been around a few years and has been  a great benefit. We just wish we knew why they discontinued it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.