Never received my package, yet paypal and ebay refuse to help me. Is there anything more I can do?

dave31
New Community Member

"Ebay's buyer protection policy clearly states:

"We'll cover your purchase price plus original shipping if you don't receive your item or it's not as described"

My package was never received. According to it's tracking number...

Label/Receipt Number: XXXXXXX
Class: Priority Mail®
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™

"We attempted to deliver your item at 12:37 PM on February 20, 2010 in XXXXX and a notice was left."

No notice was left on my door, I only found out about this supposed notice from the tracking number. But that's neither here nor there, because a notice left certainly isn't a package.

I called my local post office, and they had no idea where the package was despite the tracking number locating it to their post office. They say they have no recollection of ever having or attempting to deliver such a package.

Ebay ruled against me, and took no time to explain why.

I then filed a claim with PayPal, and they said they were "in the process of investigating if the package was received and signed for". I was excited, because if they were actually taking the time to investigate, they would see clearly that I never did receive/sign for it, and could even call the local post office and confirm with the postmaster.

But today, I find out they have closed the case because "This case has been closed with PayPal as you have filed a claim with eBay for this transaction."

This is so unfair! What do I do now??

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Colin
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

dave31--

I understand your frustration... but it sounds to me like the local post office has your package, they're just confused.

Clearly the seller sent something to you and used delivery confirmation.  They couldn't get the USPS to provide you a fake tracking statement like this. So that's why eBay closed the case in the seller's favor -- you said you didn't get it, but the seller proved they shipped it to you, and USPS confirmed it.

Could someone have swiped it off your doorstep?  That's known to happen.

PayPal has a policy of not processing double-filings from eBay... we can't get in the business of double-hearing each matter.  So because the buyer decided to file the case there, that's where it's going to be decided -- just like with credit cards.

Sorry about this situation... I hope the post office calls you in a day or two and says, "hey, we found your package!"

Colin

Login to Me Too

robertswww
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hello Dave,

It is always possible that the seller mailed an empty package to a non-existant address or mailed you a tiny package that got lost. But, then again, it could just have been misplaced by the USPS.

In situations like this, you simply ask the shipping carrier to initiate a trace of the package.  That way they can determine where the package originated, the package weight, and the package destination.  The trace can take a week, but the results are usually very revealing.  I heard of one package showing up after being missing for 30 days.

Request to start a trace now, and hopefully your package will turn up.  Since the USPS site shows Notice Left, that mean the package should still be in their possession and not yours.  If they cannot locate the package, and it is insured then you or the shipper can file a claim.

Robert

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.