I NEED HELP ASAP! Fees were taken off for a payment that should have been personal!

luNEETic
Contributor
Contributor

My friend and I made a mistake and I didn't know about this since neither of us normally do the Paypal transaction thing; at the most all I'd normally do is buy from someone else, I'm not a business or anything! I offered to sell her a computer I had and pay me a set amount thru Paypal for it. She didn't know which to choose good/services or personal, and I told her I didn't either but it probably doesn't matter, so she chose goods. And then I logged into my Paypal acct and found out they took off a chunk of the payment for fees. I didn't know if that's something that Paypal just does so I was looking in the help and I found out you get the full amount if you choose personal, but I didn't know that! She can't make up the amount that's missing because she's on someone else's Paypal account and they only allowed her to use this certain amount she promised me, and I'm short on my payment. Is there any way to fix it so these fees aren't taken off, like redo the transaction or something? I NEED TO GET THIS STRAIGHTENED OUT ASAP!!!

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

luNEETic
Contributor
Contributor

Why has no one replied to this yet? Do you not understand ASAP? If I see no responses to this post by tonight, I'll probably just end up going thru with the withdrawal of the payment to my bank account, since it's close enough, and it's a friend I'm selling it to, though it's not the exact amount I specified. Both my friend and I agree that we did not want a small portion of this transaction to go towards Paypal, and it shouldn't have. She suggested that maybe there should be a warning when you go to make a transaction that clearly states that the goods/services category is for businesses and if you use it, it will take out fees; while the personal category is for individuals and if you use it, it will not take out fees. I even recall making transactions of my own in the past and I saw no such warning. You only find that information by poking around in the help section.

Login to Me Too

Morenina
Contributor
Contributor

First off, just because you posted a topic does not mean that we HAVE to reply nor HAVE TO REPLY ASAP.

Go to help on the paypal website.

1.  Look under "Getting to know Paypal"

2. Click on "fees"

3.  Click on the first link and tada!!

Don't expect anyone to answer when the information is readily available had you searched for it!

Login to Me Too

luNEETic
Contributor
Contributor

Did you even read my first post AT ALL? I now know there are fees, but it's TOO LATE FOR THAT. I don't need to look at the help link because it only gives me the info that I currently know! This transaction should have been personal, NOT goods/services. I am not a business! I hadn't done this sort of thing, and my friend hadn't either! I was WRONGLY charged fees! My friend intended to give me a specific amount of money and I did not receive that specific amount because of Paypal's fees! I think I'll just have to ask to arrange to give the money back and trying to redo the transaction. I've seen other people posting here complaining about situations that resulted in them getting **bleep**ed over while Paypal just let it happen with no assistance whatsoever (if not making the situation worse), and I can now see how this happens so easily!

Login to Me Too

skier
Advisor
Advisor

The majority of folks who support the forum are volunteers, not paid employees and they do try to help people when ever possible.   Demanding an answer won't speed things up and in most cases, you will be simply ignored.  We don't support WHINERS.

Regards,

skier

Login to Me Too

Morenina
Contributor
Contributor
well sai
Login to Me Too

Morenina
Contributor
Contributor

Well said Skier.  Thank you for the clarication.

As for the original post.  You had to have gone through numerous stages and pages in order for to have declared it as either gift/service whether personal or business.  Since you clicked continue whether or not you read it or disagreed, it went through and you are now charged the fee.

What I was trying to point out with my original reply is that whether personal or business, there is a fee involved in either receiving it  and sometimes sending it.  It does not mean that one of the options of getting money is not assessed a fee.  Read the help page more carefully.

If you are short money, it is not the person making the purchase's fault to make up the money because you are now short, she/he sent the money that was requested and WE ALL HAVE TO PAY FEES TO PAYPAL whether we agre with it or not.  We pay for the convenience and services that we use, I do not believe there are freebies, anyone receiving money will have a fee deducted whether personal or business. READ IT CAREFULLY. There is nothing you can do at this point and if you call Paypal, I doubt they will try to solve the problem because you clicked on the links that allowed the legally of it to be implied and therefore, the fees.

Login to Me Too

2cooljewlz
Contributor
Contributor

When this happens don't freak out, there is a simple solution.  You can refund the money by clicking REFUND on your transaction details page.  The entire amount will be refunded.  Then have the person resend the payment, making sure to choose the PERSONAL payment option.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.