paypal won't act after fraud of £500!

robborugbyrobbo
Contributor
Contributor

i have been defrauded of £500 and paypal have turned a blind eye and swept it under the carpet!

i purchased camping tickets for V festival back in march of this year from ebay for the sum of £500, i paid for the tickets via paypal where i have been a customer for over 5 years and thought i was protected against the countless fraudsters that are out there.

a few days after buying the tickets ebay messaged me saying there was a violation with the listing and they advised me not to pay and if i had payed to try and get refunded from the seller; failing that to open a dispute with ebay to settle the matter. after weeks of trying to contact the seller to no avail i opened a dispute expecting ebay to find in my favour, however they could not find in my favour because the tickets were NOT covered under ebay buyer protection because i was seen to be renting the land from chelmsford county council!

ebay then stressed that i would still be covered by paypal and that i should contact them. i contacted paypal and they REFUSED to take any further action because ebay had settled the dispute and as ebay is there sister company in there eyes the matter was closed!

i explaining to paypals call centre staff but all they kept saying was they couldn’t do anything because ebay had dealt with the matter.

i would strongly recommend to stay away from paypal because they lead you to believe you are save from fraudsters where as in reality its a completely different story. due to paypals incompetence i have had to involved my local authority in order to pursue this fraudster.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

lincslad
New Community Member

paypal is owned by ebay...i think we should get a group together of sorts seeking legal advice as i'm pretty sure its not all legal..paypal should have obligations to protect their customers..be it a buyer or seller

Login to Me Too

PayPal_david

Hi guys,

Firstly, I realise that it may be frustrating for you if you purchase an item from a seller and they don't send the item to you. With the PayPal buyer protection policy, you are only protected for a transaction if you don't receive an item for up to 45 days from when you first sent the payment from your account. If you file a dispute with PayPal or eBay after this timeframe, you are not covered under our Buyer Protection Policy.

I apologise that we are unable to provide coverage to you but you should review the original transaction details page in order to see what funding option was used towards this purchase on your account.

If a credit/debit card was used, you may have additional protection with your bank or credit card issuer. You should try contacting them directly in order to determine if you have additional protection on the payment with them.

You may also wish to contact your local trading standards office or citizen's advice bureau in order to determine if there is anything more that they can do in order to assist you further.

I hope this helps,

David.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.