eBay buyer wants to send own courier to collect item sold as 'Local Pickup' only in UK

dragonattack
Contributor
Contributor

The item was listed on eBay as 'Local Pickup' only.  The buyer has paid via PayPal. The buyer now says they can't pick it up but want to send a courier of their own to collect the item.  Not sure where I stand regarding a possible claim for 'non delivery'.  Any help / advice will be gratefully received! 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dragonattack

You won't have seller protection.

Your best bet is if they want to do that > refund them their paypal payment and ask them either for a bank transfer or send a cheque (and wait till its cleared).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
11 REPLIES 11
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dragonattack

You won't have seller protection.

Your best bet is if they want to do that > refund them their paypal payment and ask them either for a bank transfer or send a cheque (and wait till its cleared).

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

dragonattack
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your helpful and quick reply.  It leads to two more questions if I may?

1.  For 'Local Pickup' wouldyou suggest not accepting PayPal, but I'm required to offer it as an option in eBay?

2. How do I refund the payment, and if I do, will i be able to get thePayPal fees back?  

Sorry to be a nuisance, just want to get things 'right'

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dragonattack

1. Ebay allows you to list 'cash on collection' only auctions and on those ONLY you can refuse paypal.

Ebay can't make using paypal compulsory on those as you would have no seller protection.

I list quite a few cash on collection auctions and if a buyer pays with paypal by mistake i just refund them and restate cash on collection only.

2. To refund go and find the transaction in your paypal account and there should be an ''issue refund'' option next to it, if there is not as it times out then click on the transaction and you should see it on the ''details'' page. When you refund your paypal fee is credited back to you BUT the fixed part of the fee 20p is not refunded and kept to process your buyers refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

_newt_
Contributor
Contributor

there is a guide on Ebay titled 'Using a Courier to Handle/Deliver Collection Only Items' it may be of use to you. I can't post the link here, but if you search it on google it should come up.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@_newt_

That only advises you on getting a courier and costs etc, it does not go into seller protection and paypal using a courier.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

_newt_
Contributor
Contributor

i didnt say it did. but its a useful artilcle for people in a situation where the subject of couriers and local collection is involved, and it shows that it is something that people do. apologies if my comment upset you, was just trying to pass on some potentially useful information for the future, regarding ebays view on the subject, and in case the OP often has this issue, without knowing if it is common practice or not. so just thought it was worth his read. no offence intended.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@_newt_

Didn't upset me at all, just pointing out it would not help the original poster who was asking how he would stand in the event of a dispute for non receipt of item.

So as it does not help him at all with his question I was pointing that out.

ok with you if I replied to say that? 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

_newt_
Contributor
Contributor

😕 ...I think i got you all wrong kernowlass, I thought you were down as a top helper on here because your kind enough to give your time to help others, when no one else can be bothered. But, maybe it's your attitude towards people that just puts other people off from commenting and trying to help out. Actually, Maybe that's why you do it... don't want anyone stepping on your toes? 
I'd prefer it if you refrained from replying to me in future.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@_newt_

Aw, did you not like me pointing out that your reply had nothing to do with the question that the original poster asked?

Other advisors often point out where my reply is not spot on, does not bother me.

This is an advice forum, if you don't give appropriate advice then others may point that out so that the person requiring help does not get confused.

Live with it and stop having a pop at me for pointing it out.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.