Chargeback after 18 months!

royrandell
New Community Member
We have just had a chargeback for a sale made in August 2009 - 18 months ago!. We only know what the item was - but because of the time passed cannot find details, as ebay & paypal do not keep records this long on my account. We do not know if feedback was left nor do we still have proof of postage as we do not keep them for this length of time. We have heard nothing from buyer. Surely this is way over the limit for chargeback! Any Help appreciated.Roy
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_david

Hi Royrandell,

Firstly, a chargeback occurs when buyers ask their credit card issuer to reverse a transaction that has already been approved. This is a disputes process that PayPal have no control over and it is the buyers credit card company who make a final decision on the outcome of the chargeback.

I realise that this transaction has taken place around 18 months ago and in my opinion, this is a very long time not to dispute a transaction but the timeframes vary for chargebacks to be filed. Every credit card company has different timeframes and this may also depend on what benifits are also redeemed on the credit card.

When a chargeback has been filed, you will be asked to provide as much information as possible in regards to the payment. I realise that this took place some time ago and there is no problem if you can't provide as much information as you would like to. Either way, we will always try and dispute a chargeback with the buyers credit card company.

If you wish to review your transaction history on your PayPal account, you can do this by clicking the 'History' icon. From here, you can then change the dates that you wish to search. You can only search your previous tranasactions in three month blocks so my advice would be just to search August 2009.

You may also wish to contact eBay in order to see if your buyer left you positive feedback on this item. If they did, you can also provide this information on your response in your Resolution Centre.

You can learn more about chargebacks in our Chargeback Guide.

Here’s how to view the Chargeback Guide:

1. Go to www.paypal.co.uk and log in to your account.
  2. Click ‘Safety Advice’ near the top of the page.
  3. Click ‘Learn More’ under ‘Protection for Sellers.’
  4. Click ‘Learn More’ under ‘Chargeback Guide.’

I hope this information helps,

David.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.