Help with Fees in UK

DesWalker
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

Yesterday I sold an item on eBay. The purchaser paid £30 + £5 postage and packing. The payment was made using PayPal.

PayPal deducted £2.09 in fees leaving me with £32.91 in my account.

Everywhere I look says that PayPal charges 3.4% + 20p in the UK. This is (£35 x 0.034) + 20p = £1.39.

Why was I charged 70p more ??

The sale was made using Buy It Now but it was during a special offer of "selling fees of only 1p" and this 1p is showing in my eBay account as being due in my next monthly statement.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Des

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DesWalker

Was it an international transaction?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DesWalker
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlass

I'm not sure to be honest. I'd assumed not because the address for delivery is a normal looking house in the UK (found it on Streetview). The buyer has a foreign sounding name and a little research indicates he is a UK resident and a company director at a Thai restaurant here in the UK (which also looks legit on Streetview). 

I've sold a teapot and two teacups which I suspect he might want for his restaurant. But I am at a loss to understand the fees paid.

Thanks for any replies.

Des

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DesWalker

He may be IN the UK but using a Thai paypal account or getting someone else to use it so you get international fees.

Only c.s can tell you for definate.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.