Confusing refund issue!

kwbailey1
Contributor
Contributor
On December 2nd I paid a seller $300 but the seller was not able to provide me the item so he refunded me the $300 the same day. The refund was pending until this morning (December 12)— I got an email from Paypal stating that my refund could not be completed. I contacted the seller and he issued me the refund again and on his end it says that it is “Pending,” however, on my end, it shows “completed” even though I received an email stating that it couldn’t be completed? BUT, the $300 refund is no where to be found; it is not in my bank account and it is not in my Paypal balance. I am so confused! Please help!
Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kwbailey1

If you funded the original paypal payment to the seller with a debit or credit card then it won't go back to your paypal balance.

Once marked as completed it will automatically go back to your bank account or credit card but takes up to a week to process through to the bank and a bit longer for a c.c (paypal say allow 30 days but I have never waited longer than a week for mine).

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

kwbailey1
Contributor
Contributor
I understand that. But, the sellers end showed that it was cancelled and so he issued the refund again and as of right now it shows that it is pending still AND I received an email this morning that it couldn’t be completed.
Login to Me Too

kwbailey1
Contributor
Contributor
I’ll specify the issue better. So I am confused because after I received the email that it couldn’t be completed, I logged in and saw that it shows completed. The money isn’t available anywhere and I understand that it may take a week to appear. I am just confused why I received that email saying it couldn’t be completed and why the sellers end showed that it was not completed if it shows completed in my actual Paypal account... It also aloud him to process the refund again on the same payment this morning. After he processed the refund again, it appeared as a new pending refund on his end in his activity. However, my end just simply shows completed as if none of this extra activity even happened this morning. He currently sees the new pending refund (from this morning) on his end and sees that it was cancelled in his activity history. I only received an email... So I am very confused which Paypal account to believe. Is it Pending? Or is it Completed? Ours are both showing different activities... Thanks!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_DavidR

Hi there,

If the seller sees refund pending it means he is refunding from his bank account which can take several days. For a more detailed answer I recommend reaching out to our customer service on freephone 0800 358 7911.

-David R

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.