Please could someone explain why it won't let me reply to a topic

bettyscoop
Contributor
Contributor

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/My-Account/How-do-I-stop-buyers-seeing-my-personal-information-w...

I tried to comment on that thread. The "Reply" Buttons are there, the topic doesn't say locked or closed. I can subscribe to it fine. But if i click to Reply it won't let me, it just gives me an annoying error which says "Sorry, you are not allowed to post in an area marked read-only.

Please click the Back button on your browser."

I really want to post there, can someone please advise?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bettyscoop

The mods can post on archived threads as you can still 'search' for them and its to stop folks getting the wrong info on that search.

That thread contains lots of outdated advice and has been updated by a mod in 2017.

No one can post on it, not just you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bettyscoop

Its been archived as its dated 2012 !!!!

Whilst some replies are later the info originally give is probably out of date which is why its not been archived.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

bettyscoop
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but that doesn't tell me whether I should be able to reply or not. I see threads twice as old as that all over the web which can be commented on, unless LOCKED or CLOSED. Are you telling this is locked/closed, and if so, why does the forum still offer REPLY buttons?!

Login to Me Too

bettyscoop
Contributor
Contributor

What about this one? https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/My-Account/How-do-I-stop-buyers-seeing-my-personal-information-w...

I see no mention of that being "archived" but same thing happens there. I see a moderator posted in 2017. Can I post to this thread?

Login to Me Too
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bettyscoop

The mods can post on archived threads as you can still 'search' for them and its to stop folks getting the wrong info on that search.

That thread contains lots of outdated advice and has been updated by a mod in 2017.

No one can post on it, not just you.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

bettyscoop
Contributor
Contributor

Oh, well that wasted an hour of my time! Maybe someone could suggest to the people who run the forum, to remove options which don't work, like 10 Reply buttons down a page which won't let anyone reply, except a MOD! Good suggestion?

Login to Me Too

Jindaleebelle
Contributor
Contributor

Seriously, these sorts of things need not be THIS difficult to understand - if only PayPal used HELPFUL and USER-FRIENDLY messages then we would understand!  See my post below.

Login to Me Too

Jindaleebelle
Contributor
Contributor

I get it - I have been having the very same problem: unable to comment on a thread I really wanted to. 

I keep getting the following message: "I do not have sufficient privileges for this resource" - what the heck does THAT mean??

WHY can't there be USER-FRIENDLY error messages such as: "The contents of this post are old news. The information posted here is no longer moderated.  Feel free to create your own new post." Or something along those lines!!!

Then we would UNDERSTAND!!!

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jindaleebelle

Thats why it says on those posts the below.

You are viewing the PayPal Community Archives. This content may be old or outdated. Leave the Archive

About Payments (Archive)

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.