HSUS Donations

DSEngland
Contributor
Contributor

I object to PayPal giving money to the Humane Society of the US, and matching donations made to HSUS by PayPal members. HSUS is an animal rights activist group, NOT a charitable foundation for the safeguarding, care and rescue of pets. HSUS is NOT affiliated with any local Humane Society and does NOT contribute money to local animal shelters. HSUS's mission is stopping people from eating meat. Period. The vast majority of HSUS funds are spent on outrageous salaries. The remainder is spent on legal representation and advertising. HSUS actively seeks to promote state ballot initiatives to outlaw modern livestock production methods. I am a farmer. I raise hogs to put wholesome, healthy, delicious meat protein on the tables of thousands of people every year. I adhere to strict rules and regulations regarding my handling, care and protection of my livestock. I am trained and certified to be a safe caretaker of my pigs. The only thing HSUS does for me is try to shut me down. HSUS spends millions on heartrending commercials showing the mistreatment of pets and livestock. But does HSUS give money directly to aid one single abused puppy? NO! PayPal needs to do more research on its preferred charities. HSUS does not deserve anyone's donations! Please reconsider this ill-conceived donation and matching charity drive.

Login to Me Too
14 REPLIES 14

tokira
Contributor
Contributor

H$U$ is second to only PETA as the WORST possible choice PayPal could make if you really want to help animals. Their charity ratings have gone to "D", and then several have even been removed altogether, due to fraudulent use of donated funds. They are the World's richest Animal RIGHTS (NOT Animal WELFARE, BIG DIFFERENCE), Organization, with the goal of separating humans from any animal contact/use whatsoever, including agriculture, pets, and any kind of animal husbandry. Please do your research, H$U$ does NOT help any pets or any other animals, and does NOT deserve your partnership. 

Login to Me Too

Hemi939
New Community Member

Can't agree more with these posters.  Really pick an organization that gets the worst ratings....so sad PAYPAL.

Try Charity water they actually help PEOPLE by providing clean drinking water.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DSEngland

I'm a vegetarian, well done Paypal  Smiley Happy 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

DSEngland
Contributor
Contributor

In this country, you have a right to throw your money away any way you want, kernowlass. You have a right to share your opinions, however misguided. You have a right to starve your body by eating ten pounds of broccoli to get the same amount of protein as 3 ounces of beef steak. You do not have a right to force others to stop eating meat. That is the HSUS mission. HSUS only helps pets by euthanizing them. HSUS kills kittens. Is this the organization you want to be known for supporting? I don't. PayPal should not. Support local animal shelters. Support Adopt-a-Pet programs. But don't take the money you made off my transaction through PayPal to support a known, proven, notorious scam.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DSEngland

My 10 pounds of broccoli doesn't clog up my arteries with fat and doesn't mean an innocent animal has died an awful death just to feed me.

Anyway that just my personal take on it only it seems odd that you worry about kittens but not calves or baby deer.

And i didn't say i support them. I just feel Paypal can spend their money where they want to just as no one has the right to tell you where you can spend yours even though you may be a shopkeeper and I a customer. 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

DSEngland
Contributor
Contributor

With all due respect, kernowlass, this is a good example of a lot of misinformation taken to heart and not verified by the head. You have lots of company. Sadly, too much company. That is why farmers like me try to correct this misinformation whenever we can. The further people urbanize away from growing their own food, the less the understand about it. It is something of a farmer 'mission statement' that: Fewer farmers must grow more food on less land, while preserving the environment and conserving resources. Add to that, today we must also try to reeducate the mal-informed about the food they eat.

I've not only raised thousands of cattle and pigs for meat, I'm a pet owner. I've had dozens of dogs and cats for pets and I loved every one of them. I'm as much against animal abuse as anyone. But unlike HSUS, I do something about it. I prevent it.

Livestock are not pets. Remember that. Livestock are raised specifically for human consumption. "If you care so much about animals, why do you eat them?" is a tired old 'gotcha' question. But it's only a 'gotcha' to those who equate pets with livestock. I care about my car, but I don't eat it. I care about my carpet, but I don't eat it. I care for my livestock better than many people care for their pets, and yet I love eating them.

Eating too much of anything --- including water --- is bad for you. People love to eat meat because it's far more delicious than broccoli. We love meat so much, many of us eat too much. Eating meat in moderation is the healthiest way to feed your body's muscles the protein they need. There are both good and bad fats and cholesterols. Our bodies need the good ones to maintain a healthy, well-balanced diet, and a healthy, well-balanced you.

If you defend HSUS, you support it. PayPal's contributions to HSUS are unsupportable and indefensible. I'm trying, as a farmer, livestock owner, pet owner and pet lover, to persuade PayPal to rethink its stance. I want people to understand that we farmers are your friends, not your enemies. We're your best friends when you are hungry. Please reconsider your support of PayPal's contributions to HSUS. Please help get the truth out there. 

Login to Me Too

DSEngland
Contributor
Contributor

And another thing, kernowlass, I do care about calves and baby deer. And livestock do not suffer a horrible death at the slaughterhouse, they are put to sleep with carbon dioxide.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DSEngland

Livestock are ANIMALS.

Pets are ANIMALS.

The only difference is we 'care' about one but not the other.

If you say dogs are pets and not livestock then presumably you haven't looked at the North Korean dog meat factories?

They would argue the dogs are 'livestock' so where do we start to 'decide' the difference?

If you 'care' you wouldn't eat beef or venison etc.

And you really think all slaughterhouses are models of animal welfare?

If so why are the animals 'in terror' as they hear and smell others being slaughtered?

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/mar/06/ive-seen-the-hidden-horrors-of-high-speed-slau...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2191813/Revealed-Shocking-undercover-video-captures-inhumane...

Theres even a book about the shocking abuses in US slaughterhouses.

https://www.amazon.com/Slaughterhouse-Shocking-Inhumane-Treatment-Industry/dp/1591024501

And I am sure that pervades through most countries of the world.

I think you and I will have to agree to never agreeing but I would love to meet you in person and have a 'good ole debate' about the subject.   Smiley Wink

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

DSEngland
Contributor
Contributor

It's easy to say, kernowlass, "If I see one car wreck, all cars are bad. If one spouse beats another, all marriage is a crime." In the same way, it's easy to do a quick search of the internet to find cases of animal abuse, because bad news gets peoples' attention. But to claim animal abuse is pervasive all around the world is an overreach, at best.

We both have the same desire: to stop animal abuse.

But allow me to let you in on a little secret: pigs squeal. Put their eyes in the right camera angle and you have what looks like terror, just like with people. I don't personify pigs, like George Orwell's Animal Farm, wherein pigs became people. But I do try to understand them and treat them the way I would want to be treated, were I in their situation. We are all born as what we are. But people can change.

I'd be happy to take you up on your offer to meet and discuss this topic. In fact, I'd love for you to see my farm, my pigs, and take a tour of a modern packing plant. I would hope you would take the experience home and relate it to everyone you know.

I try to keep an open mind. I listen to new ideas and try to find new ways of doing things. I encourage you to do the same, kernowlass. My grandmother had a saying, "Convince a man against his will, he'll be of the same opinion still." I can't change your mind. Only you can do that.

We don't solve bad by rehashing old bad, then claiming the new is still bad because it used to be. We solve bad by doing good.

And don't forget, people are animals too. I care about all animals. But all animals do bad things, to other species, as well as their own.

I'd love for you to try a porkburger, kernowlass. I'd love to see you in a penful of pigs. I'd love to see what you do when they bite you. Smiley Wink

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.