they want me to cancel and re-pay

surveyguy
New Community Member

after i made a paypal payment, the seller contacted me and said they no longer use that account (they had given me that email to use the day before). They told me to cancel that payment and send a new payment to another accuont (gave me a new email to use). I could not cancel the old payment because they already collected it (as i understand it) so i did NOT send a new payment out.

they did ask me for a shipping address so it can still be shipped out today.

is this a scam? Will PayPal help me get my $ back? do i need to dispute it through my credit card?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Andy

surveyguy-  That certainly is a little...different.  You are correct that you wouldn't be able to cancel the payment from your end; if there's an active account associated with that email address, then the money would be waiting for the owner of that account.  So they would have to log in and refund the payment or call PayPal and have us do it.  If they're having trouble with that, encourage them to call us.  Otherwise, I wouldn't make another payment until the first was refunded either, so that's a good plan.  If they won't give you the refund, you can always file a claim through PayPal and we'll see what we can do; we try to let your card company's dispute process be the last resort when we can.

Hope that helps clear things up a little.

Andy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.