Unauthorized Payment - Pay Me Back PayPal

TheOracleDragon
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal took money out of my account without my permission, resubcribing me to a website I'm a member of. The membership was only for a year, so it ran out about two weeks ago, I wasn't go to resubcribe until I got money. 

I got two notices from bank claiming I overdrew my account, I checked on here and sure enough PayPal took money out of my account without permission.

I noticed a few folks on here have had PayPal do the same thing to them. I want my $15 back that PayPal took from me without my permission. I'm in debt to the bank because of them.

PayPal, seriously, if a website wants you to resubcribe or not, you don't just take the money! You ask first and see if one is wanting to do it or not.

Will I get my money back? Probably not. Will I ever get cleared up with the bank, it will take a long while.

PayPal you really need to improve yourself with this and ASK first and not ACT now.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Olivia

Hi TheOracleDragon,

Welcome to the forums, thanks for posting about your experience. I can shed some light on what may have happened.

PayPal actually can't reopen a closed subscription, nor can a seller. Once a subscription is canceled in the PayPal system, it has to be initiated again by the buyer, including clicking the button to agree to the terms. It's possible that the subscription was not canceled to begin with, and has been ongoing all along. Yearly subscriptions tend to easily be forgotten because of the long period of time between charges. If you'd like to review your active subscriptions and cancel or modify them, here are the instructions to do so. If you haven't yet done this, your subscription may still be active.

It's a good idea for any customer to check for active preapproved payments or subscriptions from time to time. Sometimes when we're in a hurry to check out, we click to accept the terms of a payment without looking at the details and then a recurring charge seems to be a surprise later.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

I have to agree with Olivia.  I recently subcribed to something and noticed a link next to the payment that read billing options.  By subscribing, I had agreed to auto paying when it ran out next year.  I cancelled the auto pay as soon as I noticed, but if I hadn't seen it, I could have ended up in your boat next year.

You should check the payment in question and see if they have an auto billing set up on your acount, or it could re-occur.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.