Transaction Cancelled- I didn't cancel it

A440
Contributor
Contributor

Bought an item from ebay last week, was sent an invoice and paid promptly with paypal.  

The money transferred from my bank account to paypal, and is verified as being recieved at the other end.

Item has been shipped, but the tracking number the seller gave me gives the following message at USPS;

Delivery status information is not available for your item via this web site. A return receipt after mailing may be available through your local Post Office.

About half an hour ago I received an ebay message from the seller, who I have previously contacted and been on good terms with-

"Hey

I checked my paypal and noticed that iit says canceled and to issue a refund.  I nor did we agreed to cancel the transaction.

I suggest fixing the issue or you will be reported not only to paypal and eBay I as well to your local police for fraud and scamming.

"

Sure enough, my history shows the transaction as cancelled.  I did not cancel it.  repeat:  I DID NOT CANCEL IT.

The seller's grammar/spelling seems different from his previous messages and I don't think it is even possible to be reported to ebay, paypal, or any legal authority for cancelling a transaction.  Is this a scam?  Can I UN-cancel something?  I don't know how it got cancelled or why.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

A440
Contributor
Contributor

Correction- 

I just went through my previous messages; the tracking number listed on paypal is the insurance ticket number, not the tracking number. 

Actual tracking number is good and shows the item in transit.

Transaction still remains cancelled and I have no idea how or why.

Login to Me Too

A440
Contributor
Contributor

update-

Just got off the phone with the call center; according to them the transaction is not cancelled and is "in good standing."

Problem being that when I check in my history it still shows that it is cancelled, and apparently in the seller's too.

Under History in the recent activity bar, the word "cancelled" appears in order status/actions.

This column is blank for all of my other transactions.

Same thing in Firefox, Chrome, and IE.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Andy

A440- That is very strange.  I've never heard of that, and if one of our customer service agents says it's ok...I'm a little baffled.  I would wait for your item to show up, and if the seller contacts you telling you he didn't get his money, have him contact us and we'll set him straight.

Sorry for the confusion.

Andy

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.