Strange Transfer from Bank Account to Paypal? Please help!

ValeriePF
Contributor
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I really wasn't sure which section to post this in, but I hope someone sees this.

Tonight as I logged onto my computer, I noticed an e-mail from Paypal that was a confirmation of funds ($199!) being moved from my bank account to my Paypal account.  It said that the transaction would be complete within a few business days, etc, which is normal for funds being transferred from a bank account to Paypal.  

However, I did NOT authorize any sort of transfer!  I didn't even use Paypal in a while, and the only time I ever transferred money was from Paypal to my bank account (when I did a commission for someone).  Never did I transfer money from my bank account to Paypal.  I don't even HAVE that much in my bank account right now.

What is going on here?  I certainly didn't give anyone access to my account.  I did change my password immediately after this just in case.  Was this some kind of glitch on Paypal's part?  Since it's not a complete transaction, I can't file a dispute, but by the time it's complete, I'll surely have an overdraft in my account.

Please help!

~ Valerie

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Andy

ValeriePF-  Sorry to hear about something like this happening.  I'm glad that you went in and changed your password so quickly; keep those people out!  You also may want to run a virus scan on your computer and any other sites that you may have used that password on (hopefully none), you may want to change those as well.  It's really hard to determine how someone got your password and got in there, but it is 'good' that all they were trying to do was add funds from your bank.  At least the money wasn't going far.

Andy

Login to Me Too

ValeriePF
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply.  I'm on a Mac, so viruses shouldn't be a problem at all, but I do tend to use the same password on a lot of sites.  I think I'll go ahead and change those as well.  I talked to Paypal on the phone and they said that the fraud investigation team is on it and that I should just transfer the money right back when it goes through.  Now hopefully there's no automated way of the money moving into someone else's Paypal account when it goes through to mine...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.