Someone sent me money...and then used my account!

MynameisJustin
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone please help me here?

Quick back story:

I was emailing my wife back and forth on gmail, we were just sending each other links to houses that we're thinking about checking. Then all of sudden I receive an email stating that 200 dollars had just been sent to me. 

I told my wife what happened and then decided to try and email this person to see if they understood English.

They never wrote back---then the next thing that happened scared me.

I get another email telling me that I just sent a payment of 58.13 EUR to Facebook Ireland, Ltd.

Merchant:  Facebook Ireland, Ltd.

They hacked my account and sent payment on my behalf!

I never authorized this and I panicked.

The nex thing I did was to log into my Paypal account.

Then I saw sure enough that, yes, there had been 200 dollars sent to me and then someone made a payment to Facebook Ireland, Ltd.

I decided to stop this and the first thing I did was to take the rest of the money and attempt to send it to my own bank account. While I was doing this, I got logged out! So I quickly logged back in and deposited the rest of the money into my bank.

Then another payment was sent to me from the same person! He sent me another 100 dollars and I knew that I was being scammed...or just used to move money from one place to another...so I quickly attempted to transfer that money into my bank and I was mysteriously logged out again. I wasn't even logged in for 2 minutes! So I logged back in and once again, transferred the 100 dollars into my bank.

I also reported the incidents and they're being investigated.

Here is what has happened:

Both bank transfers that I tried to do as a way of stopping this fraud was reversed.

The payment from my account (which I NEVER authorized) to Facebook Ireland, Ltd. has gone through and now my account is negative!!!

-&88.67 USD

Please help me and fix this situation.

Yes, I've already changed my password and security questions.

Paypal asked me if I had done this when I was reporting the suspicious activity.

What should I do??

Any help would be appreciated.

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

MynameisJustin
Contributor
Contributor

I know we're all busy people; however, surely someone can help me here.

Is this a new scam?

Why deposit money into my account and then phish my account and make a payment to somebody else?

Why and how did this happen?

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

Will Paypal make my account go back to normal?

I'm negative $88.67

Great, just great.

As if life wasn't stressful enough. Now I have to deal with some no good scam artists.

Come on Paypal...I have faith in you!

Login to Me Too

MynameisJustin
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks to PayPal for doing the investigation and reversing the fraud charge.

My posting had 114 views and not one person contributed anything to my concerns.

That's fine and all----I just will not be using this community message board ever again.

Peace out!

Login to Me Too

mathgal
New Community Member

You know, maybe no one had any helpful suggestions. I wouldn't be offended if I were you. I read your post and had no freakin' idea what to tell you. I'm glad it was resolved.

Login to Me Too

VirginiaNo1

PayPal Moderators: What's the lesson to be learned from this topic? Can anybody  who knows my PayPal email address send me a few bucks, then drain my PayPal account?

Login to Me Too

Stargazerone
New Community Member

Hi maybe because no one has and answer for this, you say paypal solved the issue ... what did they find and finally do?

Login to Me Too

Drew63

KURTZ
Contributor
Contributor

today i had the same trouble, 3 unauthorized payments to facebook ireland ...

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.