Help!! Craigslist Scam or Legit?!

LoveTheSunICT
Contributor
Contributor

Since I no longer need it I decided to sell my wedding ring and a friend suggested Craigslist because they had some success selling things on there. I expected to use a local buy, cash and handle the transaction at my friends office, who is also an attorney, so it would be a safe 3rd party location for both of us. 

I received an email from a woman in another state who wishes to have more pictures of the ring and wants to know my final selling price. She asked if I used paypal because she uses it for her business and she asked me for my paypal email address and name so she can send me the money if she decided to buy it. She provided her name and address so far, no phone number. I've only used paypal to purchase classical things from eBay so I have no experience receiving payments. This will be a $6500 transaction so I want to be extremely cautious. Is there a safe way to do this through paypal or should I tell her no and move on to a local buyer?

Thanks!!!

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Nonononono.

All sorts of ways she could scam you.

Craigslist is ONLY for personal pickup, cash on delivery.

If she wants it badly enough, tell her to get on a plane.

Login to Me Too

LoveTheSunICT
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much for the information. It's true what they say, trust your gut feeling!

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Yup, I tell online people that all the time.

Login to Me Too

Raciel
Contributor
Contributor

You got that right!!

cash up front if you want the item or else don't waste my time.

Login to Me Too

pdx

I think I almost got scammed from something I was trying to sell on Craigslist.

I've received a fraud/scam email in response to post for a couch for sell for $200. The potential scam email is for a John Barry. He originally wanted to send me a money order and remove my Craigslist ad. I said I would prefer to deal locally and would only accept cash or PayPal. I got a email back requesting my PayPal information. I unfortunately did give it to him. I got an email from what looked like PayPal saying that $600 was deducted from John Barry's account that he requested I Western Union $200 to the following address:
Agnes Parke
9 foxwood house westbury street,
Bradford, West Yorkshire,
England BD4 8PE
United Kingdom

Then to provide PayPal the Western Union MTCN number. This is what the email said "This PayPal payment has been deducted from the buyer's account and has been "APPROVED"but will not be credited to your account until the shipment reference/tracking number is sent to us for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited. Send tracking number to us or email us through an email beginning with mailfinancial_dept and our customer cares service will attend to you. As soon as you send  the shipment's tracking number to us for security purposes and the safety of the buyer and the seller,the money will be credited into your account." Yesterday I did Western Union the $200 and told him I'd provide the MTCN upon the funds being available in my account. I got another email from him & what looked like PayPal requesting the Western Union MTCN. I really started feeling very uneasy about the whole thing and started reading about frauds & scams. I just called Western Union and they were able to cancel the transfer and release the funds back to me but close call. I thought I should report this to you though. I will go with my gut feeling and only sell locally from now on no - I do mean NO! sells to anyone that doesn't come by and give me cash while picking up an item. I've stopped using eBay because of scams but Craigslist really.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

There are more scams on Craigslist now than on ebay - ebay is actually relatively clean now.

And you were right, it was a scam.

Do not take Paypal for classified ad sales - local pickup, cash only.

Login to Me Too

pdx

Thanks. Yep that is my stand from now on. Local pick up - cash only!

Login to Me Too

craziegracie8
New Community Member

I have a solution for you.  go to http://Bixbe.com  sign up is free to make an ad to sell the ring with a PayPal buy button - it's easy.  When you are finished you'll be prompted to list it on craigslist or facebook or twitter or email.......

You can also take the link for your ad and email it to this woman.   If she is serious she will buy it.

I use this service for our Art.  Here's an example of one of our ads: http://p.bixbe.com/19102

Also, keep in mind that you will be paying approximately 8% commissions divided up between Bixbe & Paypal for this service. 

Hopefully, this helps.  Otherwise, I would cordially tell her thanks but no thanks and not give her any further info.

Best to you,

Gracie

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Gracie,

I think you missed the point.

It's a scam.

The 'buyer' has no intention of actually paying for the item.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.