Help!! Craigslist Scam or Legit?!

LoveTheSunICT
Contributor
Contributor

Since I no longer need it I decided to sell my wedding ring and a friend suggested Craigslist because they had some success selling things on there. I expected to use a local buy, cash and handle the transaction at my friends office, who is also an attorney, so it would be a safe 3rd party location for both of us. 

I received an email from a woman in another state who wishes to have more pictures of the ring and wants to know my final selling price. She asked if I used paypal because she uses it for her business and she asked me for my paypal email address and name so she can send me the money if she decided to buy it. She provided her name and address so far, no phone number. I've only used paypal to purchase classical things from eBay so I have no experience receiving payments. This will be a $6500 transaction so I want to be extremely cautious. Is there a safe way to do this through paypal or should I tell her no and move on to a local buyer?

Thanks!!!

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13

exswiss
New Community Member

I have done quite a bit of business on Craiglist for items to large to ship for eBay. I have sold some very expensive items like you are planning. Have the person send you a cashiers check or money order and tell her that you will ship after the payment is cleared. I ship most of the items I sell and have found this to be best. PayPal will not cover you on anything that is services or is not purchased on eBay. Hope this helps.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Nigerian scammers are old hands at sending counterfeit cashier's checks and money orders.

Make it a POSTAL money order if you do this - you can verify it at the post office.

Login to Me Too

pastortim01

I have a question in regards to this.  What if you sell an item on craigslist and they request to pay through PayPal.  They agree that you will send the item once the funds have been deposited into your PayPal account and then into your personal bank account?  Is this a safe way to secure the funds for an item?  So, only send them the item once the money has reached your personal bank account.

Login to Me Too

Shadoze
New Community Member

No, to the person above. I JUST got scammed that way, and am trying to clear it up with PayPal now, but every time i goto resolution center it tells me invalid transaction ID or something even though i am clicking the one from the dispute in progress. Craigslist and PayPal together are a scam, never do anything with it. If your gonna be working with CL, just do like they say. Face to Face transactions for Cash, or if there not Local, then they better Western Union, Money Gram, or Postal Check the money. Or if they wanna send a check make sure you cash it first. Unfortunately I have fallen to CL scams a couple of times, but luckily never sent anything out, and was able to recover something that was going to be scammed.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.