Address linked to my account, I did not add it.

alleisabelle
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there...

I was on paypal editing my address. There is an address liked to my account of a "family member", who I never added, and don't speak with more that 1-2 times a year, a teenage cousin, several states away. I know I did not add this address, and am really confused. All that paypal offers is to is to delete or edit this address. Is there away I can address this matter ASAP, and see what is going on, if anything has been shipped to this address?? I can't just delete it without knowing what on earth is going on! My concern is not only fraud, but that my account is showing a teenage family member; this makes the matter slightly more sensitive.

Thank you greatly for any given feedback! 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

My cousin is fairly younger (17yrs old), and a brilliant with a computer.

We do share private e-mail addresses

Uh-oh.

Ever hear of a keylogger spyware?  He might have put one in a file/picture/e-card he sent you.

This is how to get rid of it;

You need to change your passwords - all of them.

THEN, you need to run several anti-spyware programs in case you got a keylogger downloaded to your computer.  Spybot and Malware anti-malware are good and they're free - Google them for the download sites.

THEN, you need to change all of your passwords AGAIN, in case the keylogger had time to send the password change to another computer.

If I recover information that is clearly fraud, can I address it in a way that is not "over-aggressive"?

The heck with that!  Nail the little....person to the wall.

If you find evidence, then you have an almost-adult who's a thief and a fraudster.  If you don't teach him that that's not something he NEVER wants to do again, who will?

Call the cops, lay the charges.  You'll be doing him a favour.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Did the teenager happen to visit a while ago?  They might have hacked into your computer while they were there.

I think it's VERY unlikely that this was accidental.

You might want to go through your transactions for the past 6 months to a year and find if this teenager used any of your money to buy stuff.

Login to Me Too

alleisabelle
Contributor
Contributor

That is part of the concern. I do NOT think this is an accident. My cousin is fairly younger (17yrs old), and a brilliant with a computer. He has never had access to one of mine personally. We have seen each other twice in the past year; both were family funerals (one his dad- my uncle); so I will start by reviewing my account, as recommended. Thank-you, hopefully I can view where the item was shipped; if indeed this is to be the issue- I am disappointed. We do share private e-mail addresses, and write... there has been a lot more "family communication" over the past few months (given all circumstances).

If I recover information that is clearly fraud, can I address it in a way that is not "over-aggressive"? I have never had reason to screen paypal when I have used paypal; or to assume anything in the nature of fraud. How can I communicate with resolution or support without legal consequence? Or do I **bleep** it up and call my own father for family advice?

~Thanks-I never knew adice to be so neutral and helpful, I have a starting point!

Login to Me Too
Solved

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

My cousin is fairly younger (17yrs old), and a brilliant with a computer.

We do share private e-mail addresses

Uh-oh.

Ever hear of a keylogger spyware?  He might have put one in a file/picture/e-card he sent you.

This is how to get rid of it;

You need to change your passwords - all of them.

THEN, you need to run several anti-spyware programs in case you got a keylogger downloaded to your computer.  Spybot and Malware anti-malware are good and they're free - Google them for the download sites.

THEN, you need to change all of your passwords AGAIN, in case the keylogger had time to send the password change to another computer.

If I recover information that is clearly fraud, can I address it in a way that is not "over-aggressive"?

The heck with that!  Nail the little....person to the wall.

If you find evidence, then you have an almost-adult who's a thief and a fraudster.  If you don't teach him that that's not something he NEVER wants to do again, who will?

Call the cops, lay the charges.  You'll be doing him a favour.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Besides, you're assuming this is a first offence - I don't know if that's a reasonable assumption.

Login to Me Too

alleisabelle
Contributor
Contributor

Thank-you, I will follow your recommendation, and follow the password protocol. Some people would still like to believe that there are respectable people out there in this world..No matter the circumstance.

I fully agree with the computer issue. Clearly, I did not go to college for a degree related to software, computer technology, or engineering of any sort that ties me to electronic capabilities.

As for the "nail [him] to the wall".... yeah, that is where I do have the resources, and knowledge to deal with the issue; being that your right, if this is the case, it would hurt long-term for him not to do something. If it was a stranger it would not be an issue or second thought. I suppose I could really scare him, let him worry about the consequences (and pay the system) for a few months, and ensure there is no serious time that will be done (just a lot of community work; can't dismiss that kind of duress in litigation) Thanks for the leading thoughts and ideas.

You were neutral, and very helpful An asset, I hope you get paid for this! Again, thank-you for the time and feedback, I truly appreciate it (I have obviously never sought community web-based support).

Again, thanks- God Bless- if you take no offence. You do a wonderful service here for others!

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

You're welcome.

One more suggestion - Paypal has something called a "security key".  It's available from the Security center and it generates a second password every 30 seconds - impossible to crack.

It makes your account hacker-proof.  For $5, it's the best deal you're going to find, IMO.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.