Reacurring Donations

FConnect
Contributor
Contributor

I use paypal to receive donations for a non-profit.  My question is, is there a way to set up the Donation button for recurring donations.  Exp: A donor would like to give monthly, but fears he/she may forget and would like to set up automatic transactions.

Is this possible or do I need to use something like the "Subscriptions" button?  (I prefer the Donor Button)  And does the Donor need to have a Paypal account to use such a feature?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Login to Me Too
12 REPLIES 12

mrose1008

I'm trying to find out the same thing.  The only thing I see that is  usable is we can send out an invoice montly to those who have pledged, and the email has a link that take them to their paypal password entry, with the amount already stated to donate.  Try it out.  Other than that, we could lobby Paypal to have an optional monthly donation, but because of security reasons they probably would not want a person to be able to do that without acknowledging every month by signing in, so I think this is probably the best we are going to get.

Mrose1008

@FConnect wrote:

I use paypal to receive donations for a non-profit.  My question is, is there a way to set up the Donation button for recurring donations.  Exp: A donor would like to give monthly, but fears he/she may forget and would like to set up automatic transactions.

Is this possible or do I need to use something like the "Subscriptions" button?  (I prefer the Donor Button)  And does the Donor need to have a Paypal account to use such a feature?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Login to Me Too

FConnect
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks mrose1008!  This helps.  I am still hoping for a better option but I will try yours.  Do you happen to know where I can find exactly those invoices you mentioned?

Login to Me Too

nonprofituser
New Community Member

I am just looking into setting this up for our church's website. I too would like to be able to set up regular payments for pledgers. I'm wondering:

• Are the donations reported individually with the name of the donor (for our finance dept. To credit them)
  • Does the donor have a choice between paypal and visa, MC,AmEx etc?

Any guidance is welcome.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi everyone,

You can definitely have a recurring donation set up. In order to create a button for a recurring donation, you would create a Subscription button. The Donation button does not have a recurring payment option.

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

FConnect
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Olivia this really helps.  I needed someone to clarify that so I knew it was a real option.  Thanks for the reply!

Ray

Login to Me Too

Lmedina
New Community Member

so i have created a payal account for my mother...my question is how do i make it for donations? just for donations? is there a different format thing i have to sign up for?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi Lmedina,

Welcome to the forums!

Are you collecting for a charity or non-profit organization, or is it an informal collection of donations? You can create a donation button by going to Profile > Selling Preferences > Create New Button.

I hope this helps!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

clyons
Contributor
Contributor

That lets them select from a predetermined list but is there a way of letting the user specify the recurring amount?

Login to Me Too

ClwnMan76
New Community Member

@clyons wrote:

That lets them select from a predetermined list but is there a way of letting the user specify the recurring amount?

clyons... That's the EXACT reason I came here.  I can set up a list of various amounts, but what if they want to donate a different amount?  We need an option for them to put in the amount they want recurring.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.