Webtogs (online retailer) asking for photographic evidence after they received my order and money

akavanagh13
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I would like some advice in regard to possible fraudulent activity. I placed an order with Webtogs and paid for my goods through PayPal. I received an invoice and saw in my PayPal activity that the transaction was complete. I received multiple emails from an external sales team (as Webtogs is part of a chain - www.internetfusion.co.uk) stating they reported my transaction as potenitally highly fraudulent and required photographic identification - either a scanned copy of my passport or driver's licence. 

I explained multiple times that I had placed orders with the company previously, using the same address and used PayPal. In addition, I contacted Webtogs facebook account and they stated my order had being processed successfully. When I explained this to the Sales Team with proof they threatened me stating that they had not received my money and I would be required to comply within 72 hours. I however do not see how my activity can be accussed as fraudulent when it feels they want to get personal information and use it for criminal intent. I never sent a photo of myself when I place an order online so why would I now? Not only that but I've bought from them before.

Can anyone help if I have any rights here.

Many thanks!

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@akavanagh13

The whole point of paypal is so you don't have to provide that sort of info as paypal have already verified you.

I would certainly not be sending them copies of my passport etc.

I would wait and see if your item arrives and if not open a dispute for non receipt of item to get your money back.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

akavanagh13
Contributor
Contributor
That is what I was thinking! The current state is no response to my email so I am waiting to see if they now threaten to not send my item.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.