PayPal theft - disgusting company

georgiieee
Contributor
Contributor

I have read so much today about how PayPal are essentially thieves and a scam in their own right. It doesn't take a lot to research this information.

I've been a customer for 6 years, and sold an item on eBay on 31/10/2016 - payment received, item sent. 4 days later, on my birthday no doubt, PayPal email me to say they've held the payment, even though it's already been authorised and credited to my bank account. I visited the resolution centre as there wasn't much information on the email. PayPal refunded the buyer, with no explanation...

I called Customer Services to be told that the buyer claimed to that their credit/debit card was stolen and used to make this transaction, so PayPal refunded them. I was told by the Advisor "we can go halves, and as a gesture of goodwill, give you half the money back you're owed; this means you and PayPal are both out of pocket", which is a strange gesture in itself. I kindly declined this offer as I want all of the money owed to me, not half. I was shortly shouted at by a member of PayPal staff over the telephone and hung up on.

I've contacted PayPal 4 more times today to be hung up on and transferred every time. I then received an email from them saying that I had sent an abusive email! I asked for proof of this, as I have not done such a thing, nor would I.

I have contacted Microsoft, as it was a Microsoft product that I sold, and they have confirmed that the game code was used on the date of purchase/receipt of delivery. This is clearly a scam; the buyer has used the code and is now claiming their credit card was stolen in order to get a refund. After researching, this is very well known.

PayPal and eBay are refusing to take any responsibility or protect me from this. I would like some advice from anyone in a similar situation as I would like to take this matter a lot further, and will continue to do so until I get my money back. I am a victim of theft; Microsoft have confirmed this too.

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@georgiieee

A chargeback or unauthorised dispute is when an account holders card or account has been hacked and used without their consent.

If that is the case then of course they have to have their money back BUT you would be compensated by paypal if you met ALL the criteria of seller protection.

However it sounds as if you sold a digital / virtual item? In which case their is no seller protection, you can sell the items but at your own risk............I would have accepted the 50% and been grateful for that..........but that was up to you.

Yes you were unfortunately scammed but that was done by the scammer and it was not paypals fault as you took the risk to sell that type of item that was not covered by their insurance policy ie seller protection.   Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

georgiieee
Contributor
Contributor

I understand that if someone reports their card stolen, then PayPal should do something about it, but PayPal should also investigate the situation for a little longer than 10 minutes! 

They can see that the eBay seller only has buyer feedback, so can't have any negative feedback - they can also see that the person linked to that eBay and PayPal account, claiming they had their account fraudulently used, has actually used the item they 'apparently didn't buy'. Microsoft have confirmed that information in writing to me, which I have saved.

But PayPal aren't interested; they've kept their fees, so why would they want to help an innocent person? 

Also, if a theft crime has been commited, and I have been a victim to this also, where's the crime reference number? 

Login to Me Too

sonibvc
Contributor
Contributor

It is. We all assume that PayPal is safe becuase it is so popular. I suggest you close your paypal account and open an account with a competitor.  There are plently of options out there.  If you are based in the USA, you should consider Stripe.  I would also suggest that you retunr the favour! Buy something and then claim a charge back, stating your credit card was lost.  PayPal should then refund you the money and you will be even!

Login to Me Too

DavidUK
Contributor
Contributor

You ask where your crime reference number is? Well, it's up to you to report the fraud to the Police and get one.

You are the victim, not PayPal. They are just the "bank". 

I was scammed a few years back. Gumtree ad. Spoke ot the seller. Paid by bank transfer. No goods arrived, seller disappeared.

I reported to the Police who traced the theif by mobile phone and bank records (durrrr!), arrested him, took him to court for 10 other offences (same item, same scam). I got my money back.

These people rely on us NOT bothering to involve the Police. So call your local force and DON'T take "we're too busy" for an answer. I didn't.

Login to Me Too

seethingsteve
New Community Member

I recently bought a tv from ebay and used pay pal. I never took delivery and or have ever seen my tv. After checking with the courier company XDP. They claimed it had been delivered and signed for by " A S Cole " clearly an insult.  When the seller asked who singed for it they claimed nattily signed for it? The driver then made up a story of who had taken delivery of it. The driver had stolen my tv and clearly lied. Ebay and pay pal won't help as they said it was deivered. I have reported XDP to police for theft. This is a WARNING for anybody who is a victim of this type of theft NOBODY will help you. I am off to start a delivery company as this seems like a good was to steel things and get aways with it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.