Paid as a gift payment, new to this, how do i get money back

Tonibell2
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I've never made a paypal payment idepndently before, only through ebay so wasn't sure how to use the service.

I sent a payment as a gift I believe as it is showing in my transactions as 'payment for' rather than 'payment to' does this mean I am not covered to get my money back as there is no communication with the seller and I have not received the item after 3 weeks!

PLEASE HELP

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Why did you use the personal tab > gift payment rather than purchase tab > goods payment if you were paying a seller for goods?

Are you sure you sent it as a gift?

If you did then there is no buyer protection for gift payments as a gift is a present and you don't ask for presents back again so you can't open a dispute.   Smiley Sad 

To check go to the resolution tab in your paypal account and see if you can file a dispute for non receipt of item, if you can then you are ok > then give the seller a chance to refund or get you the item and if not escalate the dispute to a claim.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Tonibell2
Contributor
Contributor
Because I have never done it like this before and made a mistake! I cannot open a dispute as it won't let me, I have some emails as proof that it was for an item so under some circumstances there must be some protection? i always thought paypal protecte you!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Psypsl does protect you when you pay for things, but you didn't pay for anything, you sent someone a "present".   Smiley Sad

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Tonibell2
Contributor
Contributor
Ok so people can't make mistakes? Basically i won'y get my money back
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Yes it was a mistake and no you won't get a refund. Its a shame but thats how it is i'm afraid. That is the rules.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Tonibell2
Contributor
Contributor
Ok thanksfor your help
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.