Dispute - conned through Instagram seller

charlie_dougs
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help me.

I found an account on Instagram which sells bags, accessories and various make up items. 

I placed an order with her and she asked if I wanted to pay via bank transfer or PayPal. I opted for PayPal knowing that if something untoward were to happen or if she wasn't legitimate, I would have a way to dispute the payment.

She then told me when making a payment to her, to select 'sending money to family/friends' so that she wouldn't be charged a fee.  I didn't think anything of this. 

My order total was £100 (one item became unavailable so she returned £60 to my bank on my instruction) however my make up items arrived, only to find that they're not genuine (she was selling me Kylie lip kits and HUDA beauty palette nowhere did she mention they were fake).  I messaged her on instagram to explain I wasn't happy and wanted to return the fake goods for a refund but she has ignored me. 

I went to raise and dispute and I can't because of the friends/family loop hole she got through. Is there anything I can do?

I have the full direct message correspondence with her from instagram instructing me how to pay her etc. 

Please help! 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@charlie_dougs

Hi, “gift” or “personal” payments are intended as transfer of funds from family or friends to one another. For this reason, there is no processing fee when payment is made with bank or PayPal balance.

On the other hand, as it is a “personal” payment, there is also no Buyer protection as no goods or services should have been exchanged.

If he was not a close mate or family member you should never use that option as it enables the seller to evade his paypal fees and negates your buyer protection at the same time.

Scam sellers often ask for payment that way as they know this.

Your only hope is if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then contact your card issuer and see if they will help you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.