Buyer pays P&P for return of SNAD item?

dsmc
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a dispute to get a refund on an item that was not as described (seller shipped wrong colour.)

According to the correspondence from Paypal.

You’re responsible for the postage costs to return the item to the seller

Which should be tracked,so at a greater cost than when the seller dispatched it the first time.

So the buyer is paying for the sellers neglidgence? Hardly buyer protection.

Does anyone a workaround please?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute it is often one persons word against anothers.

So they often find in the buyers favour BUT its up to the buyer to return the item to the seller first.

Paypal can only get you back payments that were processed by them ie your original payment to the seller and not return costs.

IF you chose to buy from a UK registered business then if they refuse to refund your return costs you have the option of the small claims court.

But if you chose to buy internationally OR from a private seller then that is your risk if the item arrives as SNAD as you will foot the bill for return costs as paypal can't force a seller to send you another payment voluntarily to refund your return postage.

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute it is often one persons word against anothers.

So they often find in the buyers favour BUT its up to the buyer to return the item to the seller first.

Paypal can only get you back payments that were processed by them ie your original payment to the seller and not return costs.

IF you chose to buy from a UK registered business then if they refuse to refund your return costs you have the option of the small claims court.

But if you chose to buy internationally OR from a private seller then that is your risk if the item arrives as SNAD as you will foot the bill for return costs as paypal can't force a seller to send you another payment voluntarily to refund your return postage.

I give up my time to help you so a thank you or kudos would be cool.

Marking one of my replies as a solution would be appreciated if I sorted your problem.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

dsmc
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for taking time to get back, that's very clear.

It's an unfortunate situation as I've seen many others with similar issues on here, particulary with high-volume Chinese retailers.

In this instace they (UK based business) have sent a prepaid SAE after I told them to (naturally their first line was I pay both P and P)

From others' eBay feedback on them, it appears they habitually send the wrong stuff to people, and I guess what I would characterise as a 'loophole' in Paypal buyer protection means there's nominal risk in them doing so.

From historic experience with eBay / Paypal (user for 8 years) my first move is Paypal rather than eBay for disputes, as they seemed to have more teeth, but perhaps that's not the case now.

What i have noticed is businesses don't seem to check the e-mail accounts associated with their Paypal so don't know that the dispute exists.

Anyway, sorry to whitter on. Thanks again for your help!! Will click all the relevant buttons and I hope earning 'kudos' on here earns you more than kudos on reality.  🙂

Login to Me Too

backwater550
Contributor
Contributor

I have had different advice from Which for my own dispute.

Where the goods are not as posted, the seller is responsible for collecting the goods at their cost.

In my case, I have also been advised to contact trading standards due to the misleading information on the post.

An honest seller will always pick up the return charges and issue a Return of Materials Authorisation.

Where the value is high, I would recommend the small claims court

Nope you get resolution

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@backwater550

You are correct but the original poster was asking how things worked on PAYPAL in the event of a PAYPAL DISPUTE.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.