A dispute on family and friend transfer? HELP needed.

Yuan_319
New Community Member

Hi Guys and Paypal staffs,

I recently tried to purchase something from somebody in a facebook group. He asked me to use friend and family transfer and I did so.

However, few days after I found out that the seller was actually scamming people by selling the same item to many people, and he wasn't going to send the items to us.

I contacted some other victims and I was told that some victims report it to paypal. I was told by other victims that I need to call Paypal and file a dispute on my payment.

A group of victims from America (who also used family and friend transfer) have already done so successfully.

However, when I call the UK paypal, they told me that they cannot file a dispute on my payment since it is a personal transfer.

So would you please provide some help because if you investigate into that account, there will be many disputes on it.

I really need some help on this because I do not want my money to go to a scammer. And also, some other victims have already been helped.

Much appreciate for any help.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Was he a member of your family? 

Was he a close friend? 

If not why would you negate your buyer protection by using that method? 

You sent a "gift" to someone and you can't dispute gifts. 

If you did not want to pay using the correct option then PayPal can't protect you. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Yuan_319
New Community Member

Hi Kernowlass,

Yes, well acturally what u said is true. But actually I was asked to use f&f tranfer by the scammer, whilst I didn't really know the difference between transfers. Thas was my fault and I admit that.

But the point now is that the scammer has conned a group of people and some of the victims have been helped. 

I would really appreciate if you can give some advice or help while blaming on my stupidity (which is true=.=) . 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Well even if you can find out who he is it is doubtful you can do anything as you voluntarily sent him a gift. 

My only thoughts are if you funded your PayPal payment with a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will chargeback for you,  but again they may refuse as sent as a gift.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Yuan_319
New Community Member

Hi Kernowlass,

Really appreciate your reply.

Actually I have been to my bank today and talked to them about this issue. They told me that once the money is trasferred from my bank account to paypal, then it has nothing to do with the bank.Smiley Sad

I'm now just wondering how could those dudes from America successfully put disputes on their f&f transder. Are there difference in policy?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.