What if buyer claims what I shipped was wrong?

Toller
Contributor
Contributor

I read though all the seller protection stuff.  It says I am not covered if what I ship wasn't the same as what I sold.  That is certainly fair, but how does Paypal know?  Obviously they can't check, and the buyer could have swapped the product after receipt anyhow.

It seems to me that all a buyer has to do is claim the product is wrong and he has it for free, the seller is out of luck.

Is that true, or am I misunderstanding something?

A bit more focused second question...

In my case, I have a new product in an opened box on eBay.  A potential buyer says he will pay for it, but wants me to open the box and confirm it works before shipping.  That is fair enough, but I listed it as unopened, but shipped it opened.  If he then claimed (correctly) that I shipped an opened box (ignoring that he required me to open it first) I couldn't even say he was wrong.

Would I lose that dispute?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

rippa05
New Community Member

Hopefully they asked the questions through ebay, if you can prove that they asked you to open the item then I don't see how you could possibly lose.  On the other hand if you can't prove it chances are you will lose.  For example I had a buyer purchase a new with tags 3xl shirt from me which in the description stated their were no refunds or exchanges, they opened a claim with paypal because the 3xl shirt wasn't big enough and all their case details said was that "this isn't a 3xl shirt" i gave paypal the ebay transactions with all the details of it being  a new tagged shirt and that their were no returns or exchanges and still lost.  In all honesty its seems that if their is any problem its always the seller whose side is taken.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.