Paypal allowed seller to charge item to my credit card instead of from my paypal bank account

curlylocks
Contributor
Contributor

I bought some shoes tonight from a site that said they accepted paypal payments.  There was no mention on the sellers site that they would charge my credit card.  Then when I went to pay for the shoes I was sent to another checkout that said the money would come from my credit card even though I had chosen paypal as the payment method.  There was nothing I could do except pay them because they already had my credit card information.  I do not like that a third party can be given my credit card number by paypal.  I want to chose who I do business with in that manner so I can limit the numbers of people who I deal with.   I also do not like having to monitor my card or write checks to pay the credit card bill. 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

curlylocks
Contributor
Contributor

Oh!  Well, I trust you know that for sure.  I will admit that I am clueless how paypal works.  You make sense.  They couldn't stay in business long unless they do protect us.  Thanks for talking with me.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kennyparker1337
Contributor
Contributor

I think it just means that the seller only accepts CC payments, not paypal balance or w/e else. The CC number should not be given to the seller, as only paypal should see that...hence the whole reason for paypal.

If they did give your CC number in full to the seller, paypal is pointless and I would wonder why to use them at all...

Login to Me Too

curlylocks
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I couldn't imagine how they would be paid without getting the whole credit card number.  If Paypal paid them why would they care where the money came from?  It's too confusing to me.

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

If you didn't want the seller to have your CC number, why did you give it to them?

Use the back button or close the window.

I agree that Paypal has the cc number, not the seller, though.

Login to Me Too

curlylocks
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I didn't give them the number.  During their checkout on the last page they said that the money would come from my credit card # XXXX XXXX and then they listed my last 4 numbers of my credit card.  I have no idea if they have the whole number or not.  I just know they flashed a statement that they had paypal permission to use their checkout instead of paypal and I know that they knew they could charge the credit card instead of using the money I had in the bank, because they notified me ahead of time.  I did check my paypal account immediatly after the transaction and the transaction WAS paid with my credit card.  I had plenty of money in my bank account to cover the transaction, so that was not a problem.    My only choices were to allow it to go through, or refuse to buy the item in which case I risk getting a negative on my perfect 100%.  It's interesting how paypal does not communicate directly with us peons.  We are left to figure it out for ourselves as they make deals that are most profitable for them.  I do think, however, that this situation is one that will prove sticky for them because they are not allowing the buyer to know what is happening until the purchase is made. 

Login to Me Too

surplusdealdude
Advisor
Advisor

Your complaint was that they gave your CC number to the seller.

They didn't - they masked the number so that the seller couldn't see it.

So I don't see the problem here.

Login to Me Too
Solved

curlylocks
Contributor
Contributor

Oh!  Well, I trust you know that for sure.  I will admit that I am clueless how paypal works.  You make sense.  They couldn't stay in business long unless they do protect us.  Thanks for talking with me.

Login to Me Too

rcontrera
Contributor
Contributor

I am a PayPal merchant and when a sale is made, we only get the money appear in our account less the PayPal fees and there is no indication where it came from. 

As the sender of the money, they are just letting you know where the money came from that they sent.  If you maintain a balance in the account then that is the most likely source of the funds that get sent.  If you don't maintain a balance, then they will go to whatever you have set up (bank account or credit card) to fund the transaction.

Login to Me Too

curlylocks
Contributor
Contributor

Thank You

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.