PayPal Smart Connect fraud protections? Any at all if item not received or is a fake?

msp1518
Contributor
Contributor

So what sort of protection, if any, are there with PayPal Smart Connect? Should a seller (from iOffer) send a fake item (fake watch or bag) or not send the item at all and the Smart Connect was used for the purchase, what happens? I am in a situation right now where I know the seller is a fraudster and has pocketed my money, but it is too early to prove it. 

I know I will not give Pa-Pal the money on the SmartConnect should I not receive my item. No way. Why would I pay for something I have not received?

So will I be forced to cancel my Pay-Pal account and be done with them? Obviously I'd have to clear my bank info or even close my bank account to prevent Pay-Pal from **bleep**ing me.

Or is there protection against fraud since this is essentially a credit card? 

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

PayPal_Adrian
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

msp1518,

While I can't speak in full as to what coverages Smart Connect offers (I would recommend contacting them directly), I can assure you that the traditional claims process through PayPal will work with you in this transaction.  If you don't receive the item, or you do receive it and it is not as described, go ahead and file a claim in the Resolution Center.  PayPal will work with you and the seller to resolve the issue.

Hope this helps,

Adrian

Was my post helpful? If so, please give me a kudos!

Did my post solve the issue? If so, please accept it as a solution!
Login to Me Too

msp1518
Contributor
Contributor

While that sounds reassuring, I read countless posts here from people who were scammed, especially through ioffer, and Pay-Pal didn't do a thing about it. If the item was shipped from another country, Pay-Pal just said, "Sorry, we won't help you" and that was that. 

This is why I ask about the SmartConnect card's protection, if there is any.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.