International eBay Buyer Refuses to Accept Delivery of $800 laptop

thinkpadshop
Contributor
Contributor

Can someone with knowledge of PayPal dispute & claims process please recommend what to do in this situation:

UK buyer refuses to pick up his item at post office. It is likely due to customs charges. Ebay listing states "Customs duties and fees are not included in the item price or shipping cost and is buyer's responsibility".

Buyer knows from tracking and our eBay messages that item is located at post office waiting payment of charges. Buyer has asked for refund and does not respond when asked if he is going to return item, or if he is waiting for post office to sent it back. Listing also states 20% restocking fee, but I have read that PayPal gives full refund no matter what sellers terms state. True?

Buyer opened PayPal INR dispute, says "I couldn't get the product as quickly as I wanted it" and requests refund.

I was going to escalate his dispute to claim in order to get this over with, but I don't want to if there is any chance they give him refund before item is returned and he could then pick-up item at post office for free.

11/09/11 - Buyer purchases item
11/10/11 - Item shipped (USPS Express Int'l, no insurance)
11/13/11 - Package awaiting customs clearance
11/16/11 - Customs clearance complete
11/17/11 - Payment of charges - item being held - addressee being notified
11/18/11 - Buyers eBay message: "I noticed tracking says charges..i thought all charges were paid...have not receive any notification"
11/18/11 - "Listing states "Customs duties/fees ..... is buyer's responsibility"
11/21/11 - Buyer: "I am yet to receive anything and will have to cancel order and ask for refund
11/21/11 - "I can understand your frustration if you did not receive notification ... you should contact parcel service"
11/21/11 - Buyer: "I never thought it will take this long. I will like to cancel my order"
11/21/11 - "Is it because of customs charges? Are you going to ship item back?"
11/22/11 - Buyer: "I have yet to receive anything. I bet you will cancel order like i have done"
11/22/11 - "Your item is being held at post office waiting for you to get since 11/17, as stated in previous message"
11/22/11 - Buyer: "Which post office will I contact. Apart from tracking detail you provided there is nothing. I will take up with paypal"
11/23/11 - "Your item is at Romford Depot, Danes Road, Romford. Telephone: 08442096151
11/24/11 - Buyer opens PayPal INR dispute. Claims "I couldn't get the product as quickly as I wanted it"
11/25/11 - Buyer is told item can be returned for refund, and asked if he is going to return item himself or was waiting for post office to ship it back. He was also informed he could request refund of charges from customs if he returned item.
11/27/11 - NO reply from buyer

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.