From camera was "filthy" to a credit card chargeback

kre84u
Contributor
Contributor

An eBay buyer left neutral feedback and stated that a camera I sold her was "filthy."  In truth, it had three years-worth of use, and I had failed to spruce it up. I described it as well-used and didn't make claims of "like new" or "clean!" So, there was no deception in the listing.

Buyer and I worked out our differences over the feedback. I refunded a portion of the payment through PayPal, and she changed my feedback on this transaction to positive with complimentary text in it.

Nearly a month later, I get the charge back notice from PayPal stating, "The buyer claims that this purchase was made without authorization to use the credit card. " For the discussion, the buyer has eBay feedback of 7, is not PP verified but has a confirmed address. 

I've complied with PayPal's request for info, and the issue is in the credit card company's hands now. The reason code on this charge back is 83, which indicates a purchase made without the card in hand. I have no clue how to figure out what might have gone on there. Mama's or auntie's credit card, maybe? Her own, but she's lying to her company in order to get her money back? Who knows?

Anyway, assuming the credit card company says I'm a slimeball, can I then enter a claim on eBay for nonpayment for the item? eBay says in policy guidelines that there is a contract, and the buyer is obligated to pay for goods received.  I see eBay wiggling out of Buyer Protection, because I didn't get "signature required" shipping. I can prove she got it through correspondence, though. I'm not a slimeball, by the way. I had an accurate description, and I worked with the buyer to achieve satisfaction. Or at least I thought I did.

Thoughts from any pros? Likely to get my money? How to pursue it? I did contact the buyer with a nice message saying I was wiling to do whatever we needed to do to get this resolved. Heck, I've been really nice through all our correspondence. I didn't even get snippy when she made those public statements about my "filthy" camera.  I can't swear she's taking advantage through her credit card. But it sure is suspicious.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kre84u
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry for an extra ding. I failed to enter the checkbox to get email updates on this post.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.