Customer won chargeback and next day signed for package

blueluxe
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.  I could use some help regarding a recent chargeback won by a consumer against my online business. Here's what happened:

• 10/12: A customer bought something from our online store. 
  • 10/13: We shipped item to customer
  • 11/1: Customer filed a chargeback saying 'unauthorized use of credit card'.  We checked and the tracking information showed 'notice left' by the USPS on 10/15.  We sent this info to PayPal.
  • 11/10: PayPal opened a case with the buyer's credit card. 
  • 12/20: PayPal informed us that the buyer won the chargeback case and the funds were reversed (debited from our merchant account and sent back to buyer)
  • 12/30: Went online to USPS website to file insurance claim for a missing package (since last we checked on 12/20 the item still wasn't delivered). However, the tracking information was now updated to show the packaged being delivered and signed for by the buyer (I have a copy of the signature) on 12/21, ONE DAY after the buyer won the chargeback case.

I have emailed back and forth with PayPal dozens of times and they insist that there is absolutely no way to re-open the case and send the updated information to the credit card company showing that the customer did in fact receive the item.

So now the customer has his money and the goods, and we have nothing.

PayPal insists that the only next steps are for me to contact the buyer (why would the buyer tell me anything after having committed fraud?), or get a subpoena for more information on the buyer and his credit card company (which I guess I would then use to contact his credit card company directly?).

However, according to the PayPal website (https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/seller_problem_resolution... it says that:

"When a claim is found in favor of the buyer, you may be able to appeal the decision.

The decision could be reversed in the event of one of the following:

* The item is returned to you, but not in the same condition as when the buyer first received it
* No item was returned at all-just an empty box
* The wrong item was returned to you"

Therefore I should be able to appeal the decision by the credit card company. But I don't have the appeal option when I view closed cases.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

Crafty_1-Two
Contributor
Contributor

Hi blueluxe,

You need to report and file a complaint with The District Attorney's Office in Santa Clara California where PayPal is located and these agencies, The Department of Justice, The Consumer Affairs Department for Unfair Business Practices and Fraud, The BBB, The State Department of Banking, The "DFI" Department of Financial Institutions, The Federal Trade Commission I have and "they are listening" because if not everyday its everyweek that I send documents to them, emails, phone calls and copies of my statements and all the changing amounts that don't add up. You need to also file a complaint with The Postal Inspector General about the package.  You can also take the customer to court and sue them for all the monies plus any fee's you have incurred. The bank that the customer has can also have a complaint filed with The State Department of Banking which is one of the government agencies listed above.  By PayPal not doing anything they are also committing fraud and they violate their own rules you can go online to EBAY and PayPal rules and regulations and see what I mean if you file file online its faster some you will have to mail the information to.  PayPal doesn't care and hasn't cared for a long time and the laws they have broken by agreements, rules, regulations etc., etc., not to mention the laws and people's rights they have violated are going to be their undoing they have been getting away with this for so long they have gotten really sloppy.  The article that was in The Wall Street Journal about other banks and financial institutions wanting to get part of the action like EBAY, PayPal, PayPal Smart Connect/GE Capital Retail Bank/GE Money Bank have with the way these companies treat their customers and their money when these other banks take over or become part of the action what happened to Netflix as far as the customer goes will look like Childs Play and they deserve it. When you outsource to any country you are still responsible for what those people who work for you do and because 98% of the people I have dealt with give no name and the 2% that do give names give fake names well, lets say these companies have their work cut out for them and it serves them right.  My "Mess" started in October 2011 and it still is not resolved in fact its still Morphing into what I have no idea it is like that Energizer Bunny it keeps going and going and going Energizer manufacturer holds true to their advertisment.  I can't believe that the customer put unauthorized use of the credit card and never corrected it, you know you can report that to the Bank along with The State Department of Banking because not only are they defruading you they are defrauding their bank and PayPal is also defrauding by doing nothing about it and they really don't care they have their money. Who knows maybe that customer does this alot and if they do well, I hope they enjoy the view from a prison cell maybe that customer needs to be investigated to find out if this is a regular practice.  If you take one million people and times that by $20.00 it comes to $2000,0000.00 that is how much money and you know their are more then a million people and most of the people (customers) have more then $20.00 not only do they hold your money they make interest on it, charge you interest and they keep it until they feel like giving it back to you even if it goes against their own rules and regulations like thumbing their noses up at us. You should go to the Water Cooler Community and read some of the Horror stories its pretty scary and this is with other peoples money.

blueluxe wrote:

Hi.  I could use some help regarding a recent chargeback won by a consumer against my online business. Here's what happened:

• 10/12: A customer bought something from our online store. 
  • 10/13: We shipped item to customer
  • 11/1: Customer filed a chargeback saying 'unauthorized use of credit card'.  We checked and the tracking information showed 'notice left' by the USPS on 10/15.  We sent this info to PayPal.
  • 11/10: PayPal opened a case with the buyer's credit card. 
  • 12/20: PayPal informed us that the buyer won the chargeback case and the funds were reversed (debited from our merchant account and sent back to buyer)
  • 12/30: Went online to USPS website to file insurance claim for a missing package (since last we checked on 12/20 the item still wasn't delivered). However, the tracking information was now updated to show the packaged being delivered and signed for by the buyer (I have a copy of the signature) on 12/21, ONE DAY after the buyer won the chargeback case.

I have emailed back and forth with PayPal dozens of times and they insist that there is absolutely no way to re-open the case and send the updated information to the credit card company showing that the customer did in fact receive the item.

So now the customer has his money and the goods, and we have nothing.

PayPal insists that the only next steps are for me to contact the buyer (why would the buyer tell me anything after having committed fraud?), or get a subpoena for more information on the buyer and his credit card company (which I guess I would then use to contact his credit card company directly?).

However, according to the PayPal website (https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=security/seller_problem_resolution... it says that:

"When a claim is found in favor of the buyer, you may be able to appeal the decision.

The decision could be reversed in the event of one of the following:

* The item is returned to you, but not in the same condition as when the buyer first received it
* No item was returned at all-just an empty box
* The wrong item was returned to you"

Therefore I should be able to appeal the decision by the credit card company. But I don't have the appeal option when I view closed cases.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.