Wrong Item Scam

FrustratedChump
Contributor
Contributor

I purchased an item (an all-metal model engine kit) from a seller that I now realize is a complete scam after doing a little bit of research. The seller sent me a completely incorrect, cheapo item (a lego batman). Now the seller claims that they sent the wrong item by chance, and they are offering me a TINY refund (first $4, then $7 when they realized I was going to fight this) or telling me to ship the cheap item back to them to receive the correct item. They will not provide a shipping label. The shipping to jamaica or china or wherever it is they're located (I can't even tell, the "company" is located in china, the UK, and the shipping label return address is jamaica) would cost more than the item itself. They're banking on me giving up. They literally said to me in one of the emails "If we don't receive the item you ship back, you wont receive any refund at all, you should really accept the $4 refund"... they're practically teasing me at this point. I can provide proof that they don't even sell this item to begin with, I found the website they stole the picture of the model engine from, and it's actually a $400 kit, that they're "selling" for $35... PLEASE JUST HELP ME GET MY MONEY BACK

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

ffredddd
Contributor
Contributor
See the kainuode thread for more info on this type of scam. In the United States, we are not required to pay for or return unsolicited merchandise. I sent a photo of the cheap watch I received, with the packing materials, showing the USPS tracking number "seller" used to claim they had sent the computer lap desk I had ordered. After a few days, PayPal refunded all my money. I notified the scammer that I will return the watch to them when I receive a prepaid mailing label from them. This has happened to many people. The scammers never even had the items they offer for sale, just photos taken from someone else's site. Going forward, the best thing is to do a search on a seller before you buy. If the business is new, or has any complaints, run away. Don't let them trick you by spoofing a legitimate business with a similar name, either.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.