Unauthorized transaction happened when I lost my phone. Help!

ujanga
Contributor
Contributor

Hello everyone,

It's first time I'm using this forum. I'm really frustrated because of what happened in 2 days ago.

Let me tell the detail:

On Apr 13 morning (GMT+7) I lost my phone. I installed PayPal on my phone. Unfortunately, I also write my password on my notes (I'm 60++ years old so I can't remember too much right now). The thief send $370 from my PayPal to his account. I don't know who the <removed> he is, but he is very smart tbh. He send the money using Friends & Family feature. Then to make transaction not suspicious, he also send $7 to my friend (also with Friends & Family feature). I ask my friend to refund $7 to me (he did it). But I can't get my $370 back.

When I get notification about those transactions, I change the password immediately. Then I asked a claim for unauthorized transaction but unfortunately PayPal denied my claim. I also call the customer service on phone, but they also can't help me. They said because the transaction is not suspicious so my claim was denied. I told you, PayPal system will record the transaction not suspicious because the thief use my lost phone, so it will appear it is ME who do that transaction.

What should I do? $370 is a big money for me due to my condition. If PayPal need Police report from me, I'll happily to help. I just want my money back, since it's unauthorized transaction. Please help.

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ujanga 

Sorry but because you allowed another access to your password then that is your responsibility and you are not covered by paypals protection.

Not sure what being 60 has to do with it to be honest !!!

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ujanga
Contributor
Contributor

Yes I know about that (keep password notes on device, my fault), but is it wrong for me to claim the transaction as unauthorized? I lost my phone, and now lost my money.

Yeah you will know when you reach 60, when you can't remember anything like you want when you young.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@ujanga 

Well in paypals eyes it was not unauthorised because you authorised it by letting someone have access to your mobile phone with the password accessible.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Tommyguns92484
New Community Member
I as well had this issue but my phone was stolen. I had over 400 get taken out of my bank account. I filed a dispute and they claimed it was an authorized transaction. The best part of it all. I was in county jail when all these transactions were made. Most of you probably haven't been to jail bit believe me nobody has access to their PayPal in there. Also the person who took the money added their own email and address and phone number to my account as well as a prepaid card. You would think PayPal would find that as suspicious activity. Extremely Extremely upset with PayPal. I will never in my life use them again.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.