Unauthorized payment

bigrichw
Contributor
Contributor

On the 15th September at 8.47pm I received an email from PayPal informing me of a purchase from <removed> for £404.99. As I was sat at home enjoying a glass of red watching X factor, not remotely shopping I instantly thought my account had been compromised. I raised it with the resolution centre, and reported and unauthorized payment. On Tuesday the aforementioned amount of money has been taken from my bank account. Not best pleased. I am right in thinking this will be refunded right!?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bigrichw

I hope you changed your password and security questions?

I hope you ran a virus scan on your computer?

An unauthorised transaction means that your Paypal account was hacked and used without your consent.
If Paypal check IP addresses / devices etc and find that it was hacked then yes you should receive your refund.

I would also be telling my card issuers and bank accounts company that the account was hacked so that they can keep an eye on your account OR remove the financial info involved until things are sorted.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

bigrichw
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there.

Yes, I changed my PayPal password, and ran a virus/malware scan immediately. I have also notified my bank. Whoever accessed my account added a new delivery address too. I got a message saying the item was not covered under buyer protection, and when I check the transaction it does say, funds will be refunded to original source - just wondering how long that can take?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bigrichw

Allow 30 days but hopefully would be much sooner, you can always give them a call for an update?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.