Sunburst.Store - fake selling website websites

suzieb5543
Contributor
Contributor

My friend saw an advert for a small folding garden chair on - https://www.sunburst.store/  . (the website looks very credible and paying via Paypal gave me the confidence to buy - big mistake, and I now know there are many other credible looking sites that are fake. I'm very pc savvy and never thought I'd be taken in by a scam) The price was on the cheap side but we both ordered one. I've since found that this is a scam selling site.  From about 45mins after I ordered, I have been trying to contact paypal to stop the payment but I cant get anywhere with it. I'm going round in circles on the Paypal website and the official phone number for Paypal just keeps cutting off. I've had no alternative but to mark it as not received but now have to wait to escalate it to a claim. 

Has anyone else been caught out like this and were you successful in getting your money back ? Thanks for any help you can give 🙂

Login to Me Too
15 REPLIES 15

suzieb5543
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry this is long winded but please bear with me. I thought I would give you my update. My friend and I bought 5 items between us, 2 for me 3 for them, before we discovered it was a scam. This is how they work. They take your order and your payment, then give you the tracking number they have used to send a piece of polystyrene/foam. (One of my friends items was NOT received so that was a straight forward full refund via paypal dispute)

When you then open a dispute with paypal the company say they have sent you the item and provide the correct tracking number of their piece of foam and tell paypal that you've had it, hence paypal refuse the claim. However, the claim should be made using "item not as described" for it to stand a chance. You need to provide photographs of "the item you ordered including the tracking number". Taking screen shots from the sellers website can show the item and tracking number together. Also provide photographs of what you actually received, showing the packaging and clearly showing the Tracking number. This will confirm the tracking number has not been used for what you actually ordered. The seller will then offer a full refund if the item is returned as they assume you won't bother because of the cost. 

Paypal do have a return shipping policy where you can claim back the return shipping cost. NB. YOU NEED TO SIGN UP TO THE PAYPAL RETURN SHIPPING PROGRAM BEFORE POSTING ANYTHING BACK. You can find it in the help section. You can only claim return shipping refunds about 5 times per year (I can't remember the exact number) The maximum I could claim for my return was £15.00. This is enough to cover the cost of the return by Royal Mail, including full international tracking and a signature on receipt back in China.  Paypal refunded my shipping fee a few days after I claimed it. I had to provide proof of cost and the return tracking number (a photo of my receipt) - I also sent a photo of the item at the post office after they had put the labels on.  Once a signature is taken on delivery, your item refund should be made.  In our case, I contacted paypal before posting and got their agreement to send the 4 pieces of foam back in one package to save on refund costs to them. The postage price for the 4 was £14.56.  I wrapped each separately with written order/return details on each one, within the single package. I have taken photos of every stage of wrapping and posting my return because I know just how bad this company really is.  I'm now waiting for my package to get back to them and get the receipt signature in China. 

Due to the 2nd Covid wave in China, there is a backlog at the receiving airport but at least I now have a decent chance of getting refunds. So, don't be put off sending the rubbish back 😉  Please also note that this company use several different company names and use the same scam in each one !  I will post again as and when I have any more news. Apologies for the long post. 

Login to Me Too

MsBoss
Contributor
Contributor

I’m just so frustrated with this whole mess! I’m thinking of disputing the charge with my credit card company. I ordered a tea set and got a cheap ring instead! PayPal said I had to return ring in order to get a refund. First time I’ve run into such a sleazy scammer!😡

Login to Me Too

yeeteeho
Contributor
Contributor

Same issues here. 
Just got the dispute finished in my disadvantage.

so dissapointed in Paypal. What use is the protection if they let users being scammed!

Login to Me Too

lisawheely
Contributor
Contributor
Me too. Declined saying I didn’t send tracking info when I clearly did and still have the details and proof. Says they returned it 22 October
Login to Me Too

suzieb5543
Contributor
Contributor

Please read my post above from 5 August 2020 which explains how I got refunded by Paypal. You can appeal the decision. Hope this helps 🙂

Login to Me Too

lisawheely
Contributor
Contributor
Me too got a terrible thin cardigan instead of the nice chunky jacket I ordered. But PayPal in their infinite wisdom says I didn’t supply return tracking postage even though I did and have proof but won’t give me my money back 🤬
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.