Successfully challenging a fraudulent transaction (buyers)

Fredder1
Contributor
Contributor

If anyone has managed to get their money back from a fraudulent purchase, would you mind posting the method and details on how you did so?  I'm seeing a lot of people who buy things from websites that turn out to be fake, but are having a rotten time getting their money back, myself included.

~~ The websites frequently appear on social media advertising, or are found by doing a web search for a popular item.

~~ Once you order the item, you discover a number of red flags: extended shipping and handling times, not being shipped from the advertised location, no or slow contact from their 'customer service'  contact address, a nonworking tracking number for your order.

~~ If you are able to contact the seller, they never tell you why your tracking number doesn't work, they just offer a lot of excuses and promise you will receive your purchase 'soon'.  Often the seller stonewalls any explanation, or claims to have shipped within minutes after you place the order.  They usually refuse to cancel the order, even though it seems to have never shipped.

~~ The seller may post a tracking number that only shows delivered (not to you) in order to fool the bots handling disputes over receipt.  Frequently the tracking shows delivery before you placed the order, or to a completely different location.

~~ If you actually receive something, it is completely unrelated to the item you through you were buying, often a cheap trinket.  Paypal will try to force you to return the unrelated junk in order to receive a refund; return shipping with tracking is often a substantial part of the original payment.

~~ The seller never confirms receipt of the return, or denies a refund for cause, which makes claiming a refund difficult.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Fredder1 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy. The site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) but they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost often more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number. if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. Rarely company address information.
4. Great pictures of items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake reviews.
6. Google and you can often see previous company names as they change them once enough claims roll in and Paypal stop them using their services and start over.
7. Send fake tracking numbers to win item non receipt of item claims.

IF NOT RECEIVED OR FAKE TRACKING THEN.........

APPEAL

To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address.
Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click Contact at the bottom of the page, however that may not be an option at the moment due to covid), or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

IF THEY ARRIVE AND YOU HAVE BEEN TOLD TO RETURN THEM THEN........

In the event of a dispute you choose your seller and not Paypal so you need to bear in mind possible return trackable costs before you go ahead and buy from that seller / country.

Paypal state this >>
IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal Buyer Protection does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Fredder1
Contributor
Contributor
Regrettably, my Paypal 'response' has been bumped back another week; at this point it will be 3 weeks since I first notified PayPal of a problem and 2 weeks since I escalated it. AFAIK, no further information has been provided by the seller, and I haven't been asked for anything further. This foot dragging is conflicting with the 30 day guideline for notifying my credit card of fraudulent activity and making a claim, should PayPal decline to refund me.
Login to Me Too

SilviB
Contributor
Contributor
I need to contact PayPal as I have been stolen money today in a fraudulent way on behalf of PayPal. I can’t find an email how to contact PayPal and ask for Refund
Login to Me Too

Fredder1
Contributor
Contributor
After the latest delay as PayPal 'investigates', I went to my credit card to dispute payment. The CC blocked the payment immediately, and I received my refund to my card within a week. Right after I contacted my credit card about the fraud, PayPal notified me that I was going to get my payment back. I believe they are simply riding on the coattails of the dispute I opened via my credit card. At this point, I would have to say not to waste your time with PayPal; immediately go to your credit card ASAP.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.