Seller has strung me along and i dont know what to do

roaddog1088
Contributor
Contributor

I spent 1,100 dollars on a website using paypal in march. I have received maybe about 300 dollars of that merchandise. the seller keeps messaging me and saying hes been injured and other stories and thanks for my patience, then hes working on things then another injury happens or something similar. I need to act before september 17th to be covered. So my question is how should i handle this exactly and am i covered?? thank you!

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@roaddog1088

How do I open a dispute with a seller when a purchase goes wrong?

You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre of your PayPal account within 180 days of payment if:
•You don’t receive the item
•You receive an item but it’s significantly different than the description on eBay or on the seller’s website

By opening a dispute, you can communicate directly with your seller to work out a problem transaction.

If you reach an agreement with the seller you can close the dispute. If you're still not happy with the result, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. We'll review the claim and decide on reimbursement.

These steps apply to Personal accounts. If you have a Business account, please log in to see the steps that apply to you.

To open a dispute:
1.Log in to your PayPal account.
2.Near the bottom of the page, under 'More about your account', click Resolve a problem in our Resolution Centre.
3.Click Dispute a Transaction.
4.Select the button beside the transaction you want to dispute, then click Continue.
5.Select ‘Item dispute’, click Continue and follow the on-screen instructions.

Note:
•Generally buyers must wait at least 7 days from the date of payment to escalate a dispute for an item not received
•Where an item has not been received, please ensure you have given the seller enough time before opening a dispute

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/first-dispute

DO NOT CLOSE THE DISPUTE UNTIL YOU HAVE A CLEARED REFUND OR YOUR ITEM WHATEVER THE SELLER SAYS. ALSO DON'T FORGET TO ESCALATE THE DISPUTE TO A CLAIM WITHIN 20 DAYS IF THE SELLER DOES NOT REFUND.

If that does not work then if you funded your paypal payment via a card then contact your card issuer and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

roaddog1088
Contributor
Contributor

thanks! but im also wondering do i file it as not received or different than described? because i have received about a quarter of the merchandise. but the other 75 percent was promised and never delivered. thanks for any help!

Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

item not as described,different quantity/

yu will be asked  to return what you have though to get full refund,do you want that to happen?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@roaddog1088

File for received but not as described > put in everything you have said here and escalate to a claim.

If you win then you will have to return what you received 'trackable' to prove delivery BUT if you have activated the below link at some point BEFORE you made the transaction then Paypal will contribute to those return shipping costs.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/returns

Don't forget to read the bit I wrote at the end of my first post, IF YOU FUNDED YOUR PAYPAL PAYMENT VIA A CREDIT CARD THEN YOU HAVE THE OPTION TO CHARGEBACK VIA YOUR CARD ISSUER.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

roaddog1088
Contributor
Contributor

thank you!

so i started the dispute. and now of course finally heard from the seller , through a private email, not paypal. I'm assuming thats not a good idea for me to respond to? they didn't message me through the resolution center even though that's where i stated my issue. Here's what they said. 

"Good Morning. I am writing to inquire why you have issued a chargeback for your order. You have been sent your order in batches. Your last batch has been completed as of yesterday. I do realize there has been there been some time that has passed since your initial order. We are a small business that produces custom products. Up until now, you have been patient and communicative, we are confused by this action. 

We look forward to hearing from you. Thank you for your time."

Now i dont get why they said chargeback? i did not do that. i've only opened a dispute on paypal. havent even elevated it to a claim yet. Any advice of how you think i should approach this would be so great. I'm just very nervous since this was a big amount of money i spent. thank you!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@roaddog1088

Some folks call 'disputes' chargebacks, don't worry about it.

Escalate to a claim NOW, if the claim finishes before you get your items then you get a refund.

If the item turns up and is misdescribed you can CHANGE the dispute to 'not as described'.

If the item turns up after being refunded and you are happy with it then you can pay again if you want.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

@kernowlass wrote:

@roaddog1088

Some folks call 'disputes' chargebacks, don't worry about it.

Escalate to a claim NOW, if the claim finishes before you get your items then you get a refund.

If the item turns up and is misdescribed you can CHANGE the dispute to 'not as described'.

If the item turns up after being refunded and you are happy with it then you can pay again if you want.

he has already received 300 dollars worth of goods,so if he wins the case,he would be asked to return those goods with tracking before he gets his full refund of 1100.

both chargeback with cc and dispute with paypal is 180 days from the day you placed the order,

the seller should keep you informed if there is delay.

you have to decide what to do-wait for the rest of the shipment,risking the 180 days deadline or win the case and return the 300 worth of good on your dime to g et 1100

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@nevadasmith

Thats probably why i wrote the below earlier in the thread.

File for received but not as described > put in everything you have said here and escalate to a claim.

If you win then you will have to return what you received 'trackable' to prove delivery BUT if you have activated the below link at some point BEFORE you made the transaction then Paypal will contribute to those return shipping costs.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.