Scammers

Manateecabinets
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone run into getting scammed using paypal? If so, can i recover the money?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Manateecabinets 

Depends how you were scammed?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Manateecabinets
Contributor
Contributor
I bought tickets to a game. He used paypal to collect the money then never sent my tickets.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Manateecabinets 

Yes but how did you pay?

1. Send money > goods / services OR money request OR invoice.

2. Send money > friends / family.

3. Paypal.me link and was it a business one or did you tick the box on a personal link to make it goods / services. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

skean1
Contributor
Contributor

I just got scammed and I had a gut feeling it was happening, but didn't listen to it. Now I'm feeling so stupid. But here's this week's scam. I purchased some chairs via a website on Etsy using PayPal. The seller contacted me to say he was having a problem accessing the funds via PayPal and he would cancel my order and I could try again. I said, "sure," and that happened and I got my money refunded. I felt confident because of this, so I tried again, but he said it still wasn't working and could I send him the money via PayPal Friends and Family. Here's where the red flag started waving, but I foolishly continued. I sent him the money and lo and behold, his website on Etsy disappeared and he went incommunicado. He got my money and I got to feel really stupid. PayPal would not help me recover my funds and It was even really difficult reporting this scammer to them. To this day, I don't know if they did anything. But I did get my money back by calling my credit card company. The lesson here (besides not sending money to anyone you don't know) is to attach your credit card as a payment method to PayPal, rather than a bank card. There is a better chance of getting your money back via a credit card company. BTW, Etsy didn't do anything about this guy, either. So he really has a great thing going. Buyer beware. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. Lesson learned.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.