Scammed phone on eBay

Shelley1917
Contributor
Contributor

Hi looking advice I purchase a iPhone 6 on eBay only to receive a box with a charger it was deliveried by Hermes at first I thought the phone may have been stolen during delivery however when I contacted eBay the opened a not a discribed action allowing the seller 8 days to refund me. I email seller explaining what happened as her to get in touch with courier asap. Seller replied back contact the police! When I said it was nothing to with me that they needed to do it, and advised them to get the imei number blocked. Seller came back asking for the Imei number on the box I received , however when I checked this against the imei number on the sellers post it was completly different so seller obvis send me an empty random box I emailed seller back with screen shots of both and have heard nothing g back I rang eBay back and still told wait 8 days now it looks highly like fraud, now concerned should I have reported it to PayPal instead or can I still report to PayPal as I have no faith in eBay any advice gratefully received .

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Shelley1917

NO, wait for Ebay to sort it first and then if you don't get a refund you can then file a paypal dispute.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

nevadasmith
Advisor
Advisor

EBAY MBG money back guarantee is better than Paypal dispute,as it will make the seller print a return shipping label for you to return the item,once you mail it,the postage would be charged to his seller account.

you have 30 days to file.

This is nothing new on EBAY,so seller would have one bad strike against him,some day he will lose his selling privilege on Ebay

while Paypal you wil e asked to pay return shipping or ask Paypal to pay up to a certain amount.  

Login to Me Too

Shelley1917
Contributor
Contributor
I do stupid I intailly filed it with eBay and next day rang PayPal as I thought they would be better at sorting the matter out I am now starting to regret this, am so annoyed at being scammed £150 so close to Xmas and the phone was a Xmas present for my son. Am raging 😥😥
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Shelley1917

Have you escalated the dispute to a claim?

If so then paypal do tend to favour buyers BUT you may have to send the empty box back first 'trackable' before you get a refund.

DO NOT DO ANYTHING UNTIL PAYPAL TELLS YOU TO THOUGH.

Also if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then if you don't get a refund via paypal you could contact your card issuer.

Good luck.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Shelley1917
Contributor
Contributor
Hi thankyou , yes PayPal escalated it straight away to a claim , thank you for your advice I think I panicked as I have never had to do this before , thank you again.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Shelley1917

Let us know how you get on.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.