Scammed Refund Denied

EyeInTheDark
Contributor
Contributor
In July I promised to buy my youngest daughter a Nintendo Switch console. So when I finally got the money saved up I went online and found a site that said they had the console with a digital download version of a game for $249.00. I checked the info on the website and it had a address with a phone number listed out of California but still I hadn't heard of the website before so when I saw I could pay through PayPal I thought my credit info & my money would be safe. I placed the order which a $15.98 shipping fee was added to then checked my email for confirmation but the only one I received was from PayPal. I waited for over 2 weeks and received nothing so I went to the confirmation email from PayPal and got the retailer email address and sent an email with a copy of the confirmation email from PayPal showing that they had taken $268 from my debit card that's linked with my PayPal account as payment to them. I never did get a response from the retailer so I waited another week or so then I contacted PayPal and was instructed to open a dispute with them so I did. I told PayPal the entire story and was asked to upload any other info that may help with my claim so I added what it would let me which ended up being like 3 pics. Thing is I took screenshots of everything I did during that transaction and of the email I sent to the email that PayPal had listed for the retailer in its original confirmation email to me so I have more then 3 pics. I sent in the dispute claim & it was a few days when I received an email from PayPal saying they had contacted the retailer and they provided them with a tracking number so I figured great at least they get answers. I then copied the tracking info and went to the delivery service website to see when I was receiving my item but when it pulled up the info I noticed it said it was coming from China and it wasn't even sent till 2 days after I filed the claim with PayPal. So I took screenshots and waited for another almost 3 weeks. PayPal had set a date on the dispute of when my case would be resolved but they changed it every time that date would get here. I finally received a message saying that my package was delivered so I thought finally its here told my daughter and we went to pick it up at the post office but when they brought me the package they had I knew it was wrong it was nothing but an envelope. I asked them to check again so they did they even got the delivery drivers to check to make sure they didn't have any for me. I took the envelope and took pics of the label clearly showing my name address and the tracking number which matched the one PayPal gave me before I ever tore open the top of it. I thought it would be empty but turns out it was a generic clear iPhone case that definitely wasn't a Nintendo Switch or anything to do with one I took pics of the case I received and the envelope together. I immediately tried to contact PayPal by phone with no luck so I tried sending them a message on the help center part of their website but I had to wait for them to respond so I sent a very angry email to the retailer and then tried to go back where I had ordered it from but of course the website was not able to be found at all. When the person from PayPal messaged me back I asked what I could do about what I received and he gave me the email to PayPal dispute dept he called it. I sent them an email with everything proving I was scammed but never heard from them. I received an email a few days later saying my claim was denied because the retailer had provided PayPal with a tracking number on a package they had shipped to me. I tried contacting PayPal several times by phone and by email but they will not respond at all. So all I can assume is that if someone is going to scam a person out of money using PayPal the only thing they have to do to get away with it according to PayPal is mail you anything from anywhere no matter what you paid for as long as they get a tracking number to give PayPal when they ask their good. I can not understand how PayPal can make the promise of payment protection for its customers and the first reason on their list of reasons why you would need the payment protection is if you do not receive the product you paid for. I still want to know how PayPal even got that retailer to respond at all and why was the package sent from China (wish.com I think) when it was supposed to be from California and how could PayPal gather sufficient information to make a fair ruling on my dispute claim in just a couple days after the package was delivered and without all the evidence from both parties evolved? I don't know what else to do does anyone have any ideas how to get a refund or to talk to someone at PayPal?? If you are going to make a purchase online and there's any chance at all you may need a refund you might not want to use PayPal!!!
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@EyeInTheDark 

Sorry can't wade through that block of text.

If you want advice then edit with the salient points and PARAGRAPHS.

If not and its just a rant then fine.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.