Paypal rule in favour of buyer and he doesn't return the item... what can I do?

Sly1461
New Community Member

I recently sold an item and received payment through Paypal. The buyer filed a dispute and I did not see the email in time before the cut off time. They refunded the buyer in full and Paypal are now chasing me with a debt collection agency.

The buyer has not returned the item to me, nor are they responding to any communications.

To me the buyer has committed theft. I have consulted the Police and they agree. Surely Paypal have an obligation to hold the funds until I confirm the item has been returned to me?

All messages to Paypal are met with point blank refusal to reopen the case, they denied the appeal and don't seem to care that I now have to pay them £115 pounds and the buyer has got a free item. I literally can't believe this is happening if I don't pay the debt collection agency I end up with a CCJ on my credit file. How is this good business if the police say this is theft and I have a crime reference number supporting this?

What options do I have? Surely Paypal have to request the buyer return the item.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

Temp20210220h
Contributor
Contributor
Have you called pp? That is the best way to get that settled. You also need to email them anything you have from police station showing they believe it's theft. Did you ship through pp and have tracking info? If so, also give that to pp and tell them buyer won't respond. Show them emails you've sent. They are normally pretty good about backing sellers.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Sly1461 

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute paypal will normally ask the buyer to return the item back to the seller before a refund is made.

BUT that is only if the seller 'responds' to the dispute before it is closed. You lose seller protection if you do not respond in time and the buyer is then just refunded. Paypal cannot force a buyer to return an item to you once a refund is made.

You can contact the buyer and request the item back by offering to send a prepaid postage label to return it, because they are under no obligation to return it at their own expense once a dispute has gone in their favour.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.