Paypal refuses to honour 14 day cooling off period for long distance buying.

Gill123
Contributor
Contributor

In my experience of this latest dispute, I am told I can not have a refund but not informed of the reasons why. I have claimed a refund under the 14 day cooling off period even though the company stated I could change my mind for any reason within 14 days and get a full refund.

Its says on the dispute see retailers comments there are none, I had to put a heading on the request for a refund but it did not correspond with why I was requesting a refund although I did highlight it in my request. I have placed another dispute and will go to the ombudsmen if need be as I feel the 14day cooling off period and long distance selling is not being upheld, as UK law sets out.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Gill123 

You have 180 days from date of payment to open a dispute through PayPal. Open a PayPal dispute for Item Not As Described if you have received your item and explain the problem and escalate for PayPal to step in. The 14 day cooling off period is neither here nor there unless your reason for return is a buyer remorse type reason (ie. didn't like, don't fit, bought in error, as described but not as expected, changed mind, etc, basically nothing the seller did is at fault) which PayPal does not cover under purchase protection program where you'll have to resolve it with UK long distance selling rules against the seller (not PayPal because they are not the seller or does it apply because they are the payment processor?) where applicable or file a chargeback with your card issuer if you paid with card.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Gill123
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, that helps. I sent an email to the seller requesting a refund in the 1st instance via email, I sent another one week later as they did not respond.

I have gone to paypal to request money back but not helpful? 

Gill123

Login to Me Too

Gill123
Contributor
Contributor

I with PayPal credit account .. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.