Paypal indirectly helped a seller get away.Change code of practice to help buyers!

bjornminnie
New Community Member

I have used paypal for years and have never had any issues and always felt secure when using it. I was alaways covered by buyer protection. Bought and item it arrived not as described and faulty. Went to look at resolution centre. Honestly did not know I opened dispute till I got the email. In the meantime the seller told me to ship the item back. The shipping time from Ireland took more than two weeks wich is shorter than the case stayed open. I got a email telling me to escalate the case or it will close. How can I escalate the case when the seller is appearing to co operate? so the case expired or closed. Seller knows this as his message in the resolution centre states to contact them before escalating issue. he contacted not through paypal via email. The message from paypal at no time anywhere stated that once closed there is no recourse what so ever afterwards and that the seller will get away with it! Now the seller has vanished not responding with both the item and my money. This Paypal should consider. The warning that the case will close should clearly state that there is no recourse at a later time, not just case cant be escalated again, shipping times should be considered when I am trying to resolve the issue. I called customer care the first representative reopend the case? why if this was not possible? gave me false hope in buyer protection! Got email saying bad luck, you trying to do the right thing working it out with the seller helped him get away with it again

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Rich

Hello @bjornminnie

Thanks for posting in the PayPal Community forums for help with this issue. I'm sorry to hear about your negative experience with this merchant. That certainly does sound frustrating. PayPal's disputes process is intended to allow buyers and merchants to amicably resolve an issue. However, if there is a concern from either party that the matter may not be addressed appropriately, one can escalate the claim for further assistance from PayPal, who will make a decision. PayPal sends multiple emails during the dispute process warning that the claim must be escalated before the deadline for protection eligibility. I'm sorry that in this instance the merchant did not provide you the resolution you were hoping for and that there are not additional options to file a claim through PayPal. 

One of the benefits of using PayPal is that it is just one layer of consumer protection. If you paid with a debit or credit card, you may contact your financial institution for additional consumer protection options. 

- PayPal_Rich

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters always point in the right direction.
- Irish Proverb
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.