Paypal attempting to take money out of my bank account

DarkRider26
Contributor
Contributor

I have a Paypal account to handle all of my Ebay transactions. I have had no problem with Paypal over the last three months that I have had it, until now. On 3/24, I bought an item for $27.00. I had enough money in my Paypal available balance to make the purchase using only my balance. Everything worked smoothly and there were no error messages of any kind during the transaction.

Then, on 3/25 and on 3/31, Paypal attempted to remove $27.00 out of my bank account. This is a new account and I did not have the $27.00 they were trying to get. This lead to a $32.00 NSF fee from my bank, twice. Meaning, I now owe my bank $64.00 in total. This is not okay, especially since it stems from a transaction that had no issues whatsoever.

Now, I know what you are thinking - maybe I did not have enough money in my balance to pay and Paypal tried to automatically take out of my out of my bank. However, this is incorrect. On my Paypal activity, it clearly shows that "-$27" transaction on 3/24 and under details, it shows paid with BALANCE. I have since contacted Ebay and the seller. Ebay said the transaction was normal, the money successfully went through, and the seller only charged once. Then, I contacted the seller, who said that the payment went through, and there were no problems on her end.

Just in case you are not convinced that I did not have enough money in my Paypal balance, if you look in Paypal wallet, it specifically states, "If you don’t have enough money in your balance, we’ll ask you to pick another payment method at checkout." This seems to be a smoking gun case if I've ever seen one.

Has anyone had a similar problem, and was it ever resolved? I have tried to contact Paypal many times, through the resolution center and through the direct messaging (email) center. NO RESPONSE. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@DarkRider26 

You'll need to keep contacting customer service until someone responds and due the Covid-19, staff is reduced resulting in delayed responses. I am sure they are backed up to kingdom come with support tickets.

The cause of it, I wonder, if it is a thing that when paying with balance, it needs a back up and it used your bank account or bank debit card, causing that domino effect. I remember using Grubhub and I had balance but it asked for a card and also made the same charge on it and when the system determines there was enough in the PP balance to pay, it releases the card charge.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.