Paypal allowed buyer to return an item they damaged

dellis91
New Community Member

Paypal allowed a buyer to return a receiver I sold them through Craigslist. I sold it in 100% perfect working order and have proof that it was working, he had it for like 2 weeks and then submitted a claim that it was damaged. Paypal disregarded the documentation I provided and sided with the buyer, and are refusing to talk to me about the issue.

I've been a Paypal customer for over 10 years, and am not a store or professional seller, I was just selling my personal receiver due to an upgrade. I'm now faced with a ~$1,000 repair bill to fix my receiver. How can I get Paypal to listen to my claim and not repeat the lie that they can't do anything because of the fraudulent claim they allowed the buyer to file?

Sequences of events:

- The item, an Anthem MRX1120 receiver, was sold to the buyer in 100% working condition.

- 18 days or so late, a claim was filed against me that the item was not as described. The buyer claimed the receiver was damaged (an electrical issue). The box and receiver were in perfect condition though, and I have a picture showing me using the receiver before I mailed it.

- Paypal "allowed" me to submit documentation for my side of the story, but still automatically sided with the buyer and allowed him to return it. Which he did in a quick minute knowing it was his chance to not have to pay for his mistake.

- I've spent over 2 months trying to get a Paypal claims manager to talk to me. Every person I am able to get ahold of say they can't do anything as the claim was already closed, even though my dispute with them is that they erroneously closed the claim without taking into account the documentation I provided, they even say that they can't do anything because of their user terms, even though they didn't even follow them in the first place! It clearly says that before any claim can be opened the buyer must attempt to remedy the issue with the seller first, and the buyer had both my email and phone number! He obviously didn't as he clearly damaged it and knew I would dispute it. They even tried calling me asking how I would pay my balance that I'm still disputing.

All I want is that Paypal and/or the buyer pay for the repairs of my receiver - it's currently with my local audio/visual shop and they're estimating the repair will nearly be half the value of the receiver, which again is DAMAGE THE BUYER CAUSED!!!

I'm at my wits end. Nobody at Paypal is taking me serious, they TREAT ME LIKE CRAP and are totally blowing me off. I had talked up Paypal to so many people over my 10+ years as a customer, but now am being totally ignored by them.

Please help!

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dellis91 

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute its always one persons word against anothers.

Paypal never sees the item in question and so has to make a judgement call but if they find for the buyer they have to return the item first.

Sometimes a buyer unfairly misses out and sometimes a seller, sadly thats the risks of online buying and selling.

However just because you have run out of paypal options does not mean you can't pursue the buyer legally if there are options for that in your country against the buyer?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.