Paypal Credit Dispute - Ebay Mobile Phone Insurance Fraud - Rejection of Claim??

CL83
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I purchased a brand new iPhone 11 pro in November 2019 and for 3 months the phone worked fine. After 90 days had elapsed, the ebay seller submitted an insurance claim for Lost/Stolen and as a result the phone was blacklisted. I sent the seller a message and she replied that it was her sons phone and that the blacklist would be removed. No such joy, no contact back after that.

As over 90 days had elapsed, past Ebay's protection but it still come under Paypal's 180 day protection. I then raised a claim with Paypal Credit to try and recoup my money back from the fraudulent seller. After a few days, Paypal closed my case in favour of the seller with the answer that it was a warranty issue. I phoned up and complained and told them it was an insurance fraud issue and the case was reopened. I submitted them the Checkmend report showing the blacklist for lost/stolen. I also submitted the ebay message from seller saying she would remove blacklist.

Due to Covid19, the case has been ongoing for about a month where I finally get a response back today that they have once again sided with the seller. On phoning up they said, as the phone was working when you received it and for a suitable time period after that (3 months) then the item was as described and that they were rejecting my claim. Even though insurance fraud has clearly been committed.

Where on earth do I go from here? Are Paypal siding with fraudulent sellers now? I could potentially go and do exactly the same now knowing that I can commit insurance fraud and Paypal would side with me as long as I leave it 90+ days. I asked what good is the 180 day protection and they said that was simply a mechanism for raising a dispute. Doesn't make any sense to me.

I plan to take this further by finding senior members of Paypal on Linkedin, possibly UK BBC Watchdog or Martin Lewis MSE. I feel that as Paypal are working from home at the minute, they're just trying to quickly clear backlogs and the easiest course of action is just to deny claims.

On searching around, this is a VERY common fraud, yet I'm left bewildered why Paypal just dont care and are siding with frausters.

Any input, similar experiences and resolutions? Where do I go from here? Suely this can't be the right decision?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

CL83
Contributor
Contributor
Anyone with similar experiences?
Login to Me Too

CE10
Contributor
Contributor
Same problem. Bought an iPhone 11 pro in January however it was blacklisted last week. PayPal have denied my claim. How is this fair when the seller has reported the phone stolen after selling it to me resulting in the handset being blacklisted. This is fraudulent and not fair. I bought a phone in good faith on ebay knowing that I am protected for at least six months should the seller report the phone stolen in an insurance claim which is what has happened here. How fair is this?  Only the seller can report the phone as being stolen. The frustrating thing is the I can't talk to anyone and the messaging system is terrible
I have just received an email from PayPal stating that the claim has not been decided in my favour. This is terrible
Login to Me Too

CL83
Contributor
Contributor
I exhausted my options within PayPal. Appealed several times and each time they state as the item was delivered and worked then this is not their problem and that it is a matter for the police and the courts. If that’s the case then people should be made aware that the 180 day buyer protection policy does not apply to mobile phones. I question why there is a 180 day policy to begin with anyway? Why would anyone need 180 days to report something not as described? The only option is to take it higher through the financial ombudsman and the financial conduct authority. Watchdog may be interested. It’s a major loophole in the system. I could go take out a contract for a phone tomorrow. Sell it on eBay and then wait 30 days to bypass eBay’s protection system before reporting it lost in order to get another in replacement from insurance and know that PayPal will side with me. I paid for mine on PayPal Credit in 12mth instalments so my argument is that PayPal Credit have funded this fraud. There is an option to soften the blow, I purchased the phone for £750 but managed to recoup £500 by selling it as network not working “spare parts” so at least I recouped some money back. I will never buy a phone off eBay and use PayPal again. Shocking and they just don’t care.
Login to Me Too

CL83
Contributor
Contributor
Another option is to play the seller at their own game. They will sell in future. You can buy from them in future. Just saying. Another option to get back at them.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.