PayPal serve as a "contract" between you and the seller

321alb
Contributor
Contributor

If you have paid a deposit to a vendor/seller through PayPal and owe the balance - BUT have cancelled the service before it took place - does PayPal act as a "written contract" between the buyer and seller? Does the seller have any legal rights if this has occurred? No terms of cancellation policy were provided by the seller at any time. 

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@321alb 

A buyer can open a paypal dispute for either goods or services not received from the seller to obtain a refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

321alb
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks but does a seller have any legal right if the buyer does not pay the balance of what is owed - if the service was never completed by the seller? Can they say PayPal serves a a written contract and sue the buyer for the balance, etc?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@321alb 

You can't force a buyer to pay you unfortunately.

You would have to take your own private legal action if you had a contract drawn up between you that the buyer broke.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

321alb
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you - that is what I needed to know. I am the buyer and the seller did not complete the service and is claiming that the deposit paid via PayPal acts as a written contract between us. But the seller never provided any cancellation policy terms at any point and is keeping the deposit. Seller is claiming that the payment made on PayPal can serve as a contract and is enough to sue me. I do not see how that is possible. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.