PayPal's "Buyer's not so Protection"

straris
Contributor
Contributor

So it all started with a perfume purchase from ebay and PayPal as a payment method.
After the bottle arrived broken and all of the perfume gone, I decided to open a case on eBay since the seller became AWOL. After a few weeks of me sending photos of the broken bottle in my frustrated hand, I got a notification saying that the seller accepted the return of the item but did not provide any shipping cost refund along with an address somewhere is Israel.

At this point I thought "what's the purpose of returning an empty and broken bottle?" and I proceeded to get a second oppinion on PayPal's "Buyer Protection", oh how mistaken I was.

After a few more weeks, the open case led me to eventually ship the broken perfume bottle to a different address that the seller provided to PayPal and me providing a Tracking number to PayPal.

To my surprise, a few more weeks down the road, I got an email stating that my case is closed "in favor of the Seller"!!!
Eventually and absolutely confused with the decision I reached out to PayPal's support:

Screenshot_2019-09-13_at_11_41_54.pngScreenshot_2019-09-13_at_11_41_32.png

This for me is a clear green light to scammers and a message from PayPal to all the Sellers, "Send whatever you want, just make sure you provide a false return address"

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@straris 

If paypal found in your favour then they would tell you what address to ship the item back to.

Then if you did as they said you would have been covered.

Have you activated the 'return shipping on us' link in your paypal account for help with future returns?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

straris
Contributor
Contributor

@kernowlassPayPal prompted me to send the item to the address that the seller provided. Which is exactly what I did. Regarding the 'return shipping on us' PayPal provides this option for a limited time.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@straris 

In that case if you have proof of delivery of the item back to the address that paypal told you to send it then appeal the outcome.

Go to 'view' the transaction in the resolution centre and there should be an appeal option, if there is not then....

Click on the words "Help / Contact" at the bottom of paypals pages and use the phone option in the blue band at the top OR very bottom of page dependent on what country you are in. Scroll down past the list of help questions and click on 'Call us' bottom of that page. Log in and get the code.

OR
have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their facebook or twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

As for the return shipping on us option it is not limited for a period of time, you are just limited on how many claims you can put in per 12 months.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

straris
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply @kernowlass 

The option for shipping refund is not available for the transaction for me.

Asked the case to be re-opened, do you reckon the support on facebook are better equiped to handle the case?

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@straris 

They are all customer services just different ways to contact them.

As for return shipping you have to activate it first and then it appears on transactions made post that activation.

I can't give you the link as I can't navigate your site in German, but if you click on help top of page in your country and put in return shipping you should get the link to activate it.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.