Ordered items at FRAUD SCAM WEBSITE canvasn.club. NEED HELP or advice

jajm2015
Contributor
Contributor

I ordered items at canvasn.club (SCAM WEBSITE - DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING). The website is set up to simply steal credit card information and take PayPal payments. I first suspected something was wrong when I checked for my order confirmation receipts from the website, and saw I received none. I did receive PayPal payment confirmation receipts, indicating the payments went through, but these receipts do not have a description of the items purchased. I then decided to call the customer service number on the website, only to find out it was disconnected. At this time, I realized I was scammed, so, as most I think would do, I tried to contact PayPal support. PayPal support is closed due to the situation with the virus. When you call the PayPal support number, as you move through the prompts, you eventually get to a final message that say "customer service is closed". No doubt, many of you have experienced this, if you've tried to reach PayPal recently. I get it! It's a tough time for many of us, and for many businesses. PayPal is no exception. That said, let's continue: I decided to try to use the online dispute process, and found I could either choose an "item not received" or an "Unauthorized Transaction" option. I wanted to quickly get a message to PayPal, as phone support was completed shut down, so I used the "Unauthorized Transaction" option. I used this option and included a note describing that I did placed the order, but suspected the merchants/website was fraudulent...a scam. PayPal responded within 24 hours saying "We've completed our review of your unauthorized activity case, and we’ve determined there was no unauthorized use". I then thought, OK, I'll go back in and change the reason for the dispute, only to find 'any and all options for recourse were no longer available". Even the "item not received" option is gone. Essentially, PayPal has, at this time, shut down any and all recourse if you get scammed...at least, I certainly can't find any other way to reach them, or resolve this issue. The total cost of items was over $500, which is not a small amount for me. I typically consider PayPal the safest, but this experience is a little worrying. The lesson I've learned is to be more careful ordering online. I have to think a whole lot of people are going through the same thing, because the scam website is still up and running as of this post, and even if they take it down, I'm sure another one will pop up. Is PayPal simply shutting those customers' disputes down as well, with no recourse and no access to PayPal support? What recourse, if any, is there? Are there any useful tips you can share? I'm sure all those affected would really appreciate your help.

Login to Me Too
61 REPLIES 61

JG1572
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks for this information. Sad. Everyone should cancel their Paypal account. They no longer serve their customers. They protect scammers.
Login to Me Too

joegold100
Contributor
Contributor
  • April 25 - I ordered something from the https://canvasn.club/ in April with a cost of $67.38. Seller Info: Ming <removed>
  • May 4th - After no item received and response from the seller, I filed a dispute with PayPal.
  • May 21st - The seller responded with a tracking number from China Post. The item I ordered was large in size, and the info on the shipping info said "Small Envelope / Packets".
  • June 10th - The item arrived. (Suspecting at this point that there might be fraud, I video taped myself receiving the package from the Post Office. I also took video of the package being opened.) This is what was sent to me:

• June 15th - Changed my case from item not received to item not as described
  • June 18th - Seller responds with offer to refund $46 of the $68 I paid.
  • June 20th - I refuse the offer
  • July 5th - Seller makes another offer

What's the seller's offer?

The seller has agreed to issue a full refund for $67.38 USD. To receive this refund, you'll need to ship the item (s) back to the seller by July 15, 2020 at 11:51:10 PM PDT.Once the seller confirms the receipt of the item (s), we’ll process the refund to you and close this case. This case will be automatically closed if you don't respond on or before July 15, 2020 at 11:51:10 PM PDT.

• July 7th - July 14th - 8 phone call attempts which it's impossible to call in right now, and 10 emails conversations with PayPal support (they just keep spinning me in circles with pre-formatted responses)

"I understand your concern and I can see that your case is waiting for your response. I suggest that you can provide the documents and proofs that may help for the case to be resolved on your favor."

"I was able to see that the dispute case PP-D-6461XXX is under review. Please wait till the review is completed as we are investigating on the case."

• Today is July 14th - I have until 11pm on July 15th to provide a tracking number to show that I returned this item. The lowest cost envelope type shipping service available with tracking is USPS Priority International - Cost to return this item that I clearly did not order is $1 item with tracking:

•  

PAYPAL - The seller is using the United States Postal Service to commit this fraud which is a felony. If the seller makes a "mistake" and this was clearly no mistake, and sends the buyer the wrong item, why is it the buyer's responsibility to pay the shipping back? If it's the sellers mistake, the seller should pay for return shipping. I've signed up for your return shipping insurance but it doesn't help after the fact. This is clearly a scam, with dozens of threads and hundreds of reports of this happening,  you either are aware and are continuing to facilitate it, or you should be aware and should have taken steps to stop these types of disputes from getting this far which makes you negligent.

Login to Me Too

jajm2015
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal is aware. As one community member suggested, PayPal cannot allow even one PayPal user to win a case against these scammers, because if they do, they are on the hook to refund everyone's money, and canvasn.club is just one of countless scam websites that have no doubt stolen millions. PayPal has made their choice - 'Fight against ALL PayPal users who were scammed, at all costs'. At this point, they would lose too much if they actually protected their users. Really only two options - 1) criminal negligence, or 2) in partnership with the scammers. One might say, their negligence is equivalent to a partnership. I started submitting complaints at the links below about canvasn.club, but I'm now going to start submitting complaints about PayPal. Maybe all we can do is sound the alarm.

>>>ripoffreport.com ( Primarily targeted at US consumers, Ripoff Report is probably the world's most visited scam reporting website.
There are no China-specific categories but reports can be filed in a wide variety of circumstances)

>>> complaintsboard.com ( Complaints Board is a comprehensive consumer complaints website. Although there are no categories specific to China, their search function is very useful and many Chinese scams are reported)   

>>> ftccomplaintassistant.gov (Our readers from the US may like to consider submitting details of a Chinese scam to the Federal Trade Commission.

Complaints from consumers are used to help detect patterns of fraud and abuse.)
>>> ic3.gov ( Managed by the FBI, the Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) may be a useful website for US readers to report more serious Chinese scams.)
Login to Me Too

JG1572
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal continues to betray it’s customers and protects known scammers like Canvasn Club and allows them to operate freely on their site. They could easily protect customers from the scam by shutting down their account, refusing to process transactions from this company or flagging buyers of the many reported scam reports on Canvasn. Please boycott PayPal until they take action to protect their customers. I have filed a report with the FTC asking them to investigate both Canvasn and PayPal’s inaction. I will use only Amazon Prime now for any online purchases. They protect their customers. PayPal has failed us.
Login to Me Too

joegold100
Contributor
Contributor

HUGE UPDATE TO THIS THREAD!   PayPal has now changed their policy that states that buyer must return the item back to the seller to get a refund when you claim "Item not as described.". There will be a new dispute option for "Item Significantly Not as Described." The new policy states:

Amendments to the PayPal Account User Agreement

• For “Significantly Not as Described” claims under our Seller Protection Program, we are clarifying that the item may not be returned to sellers or sellers may be required to accept the returned item and pay for the return shipping costs.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/upcoming-policies-full .

So that tells you right there... that PayPal is aware of this scam and they are changing their policy, which of course doesn't help any of us who have been scammed before  this policy went into effect.

Login to Me Too

jajm2015
Contributor
Contributor

PayPal has made their choice. SURVIVE AT ALL COSTS! Below is a message I just sent today to others members trying to initiate a class-action suit.

>> Regretfully, this may all be over soon. You see, PayPal just now, made me agree to updated terms, which now essentially state that "PayPal can remove ANY CONTENT AT ANY TIME" from the PayPal-Community forum. This means they are in the process of making a concerted effort to remove any and all messages that expose PayPal's gross negligence (and some would say "complicity with those committing fraud"). THEY MUST DO THIS TO SURVIVE! Currently, they cannot side with any PayPal user who was scammed by any of these China operated websites. If they side with even one PayPal user, they are now on the hook to reimburse and make whole ALL PayPal users globally (or at the very least, in the USA - let me not speak for other countries). Therefore, to survive, they must side AGAINST their users AT ALL COSTS! To prevent class action lawsuits and the like, they will no doubt be PURGING ALL CONTENT EXPOSING their negligence to their users, and their complicity with fraudsters. The great PayPal cover-up is afoot (in my opinion)!

Login to Me Too

JG1572
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal is and continues to protect this Scammer. I have spoken to them several times. Not only will they not protect your purchase, they are taking no action to shut this company down. They have hundreds of complaints and disputes filed on this company. The community page is full of customers who have been ripped off. All the same Scam. They will find the dispute in favor of the scammer unless you agree to return the face masks to a bogus address in Hong Kong, the seller provided at your own expense. Had USPS check the address. It does not exist. Told PayPal. They do not care. PayPal can hide behind its revised policies, but they are fully responsible for policing their site and taking action to protect their customers. They can easily ban this scam company, shut down their account and refuse to process transaction. Instead, they have done nothing. FIle a report with the FTC. Report both Canvasn and PayPal. And send Boycott PayPal until they start protecting their customers from fraudulent sellers as they promise to do. PayPal need brought before Congress to answer for their scam policies. New legislation needs passed to protect consumers and hold PayPal accountable.
Login to Me Too

Elk55
Contributor
Contributor
Same experience. I sent an email to the company and they communicated They would give me a refund. No refund and now their email is shut down. PayPal has been of no assistance. They don’t even read the notes you provide in the dispute. Such poor business
Login to Me Too

jajm2015
Contributor
Contributor

If you used a credit card linked to your PayPal account, you have to dispute directly with the card issuer. Make sure to mention the website you ordered from so it is recorded. If you used your PayPal balance, regretfully, you are in a tough place.

Login to Me Too

JG1572
Contributor
Contributor
I experienced exactly the same scam with Canvasn. Ordered a composter, after 2 month delay blamed on Covid, received a face mask. Opened a dispute with PayPal. They drug this out for 3 months then denied me a refund because I would not pay $65 to ship the face mask back to a bogus address in China provided by the seller. I used PayPal to protect my purchased from fraud. Instead PayPal protected this scammer and allows this fraud to go on. I will never purchase through PayPal again. Amazon Prime only! So many people have been scammed by this fraudulent Chinese company. PayPal is aware and does Nothing to shut this scam down. Actually Paypal protects them. I encourage everyone to file a complaint with the federal trade commission at www.ftc.gov. Please don’t believe PayPal will protect your purchase from fraud. They don’t. Buyer beware!
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.